Visit Open-E website

Thread: Version 1.18 Demo CD

Default Version 1.18 Demo CD

Hi , i'm stuck with a problem about Demo CD Version , I tried to use it on Dell 1900 Server but I can't because of unsupported Broadcom NetExtreme 5708 , I read somewhere in this forum that 1.18 version is suppose to solve this but where is the demo CD of this version?

We have an update for the DSS 1.18 module for the Broadcom NetExtreme 5708. Next release of Demo-CD 1.21 should have these drivers. Demo-CD 1.21 release should be first of June.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    We have an update for the DSS 1.18 module for the Broadcom NetExtreme 5708. Next release of Demo-CD 1.21 should have these drivers. Demo-CD 1.21 release should be first of June.

Finally I think that I will look somewhere else for your new storage platform , I can't stand with the idea of being stuck with 20TB of our data depend on this small USB DOM module , this is the perfect proof of this , suppose that our USB module just get fried and we want to use demo-cd to get up and running during US Dom Replacement, oups! our network cards are not supported with Demo CD . This days data is everything so its need to be up and running 24/7/365 and probably for life , so I really love the product but my job is to keep the data avaible and secure so I need to look to somewhere else .

Also what happen if Open-E close his doors? ( everything is possible )

I understand your concern, but I will state that Dell Broadcom NIC's have so many different chip sets that it is hard to get all of them supported, not to mention to get Dell to assist us on sending every server will not happen soon. If we purchase them, then our cost will go up. Although we are starting to begin cooperation’s with them, this will still take time. But that is not what your concern is, you are correct that if your Dell system crashes and using the Demo-CD 1.18 will not provide adequate support unless you have the new Demo-CD version 1.21 to be released soon, will not be sufficient enough. We have drivers for the Broadcom’s for the 4400 and 5700 family (Tigon3) currently listed in our hardware compatibility listings, but as stated before there are to many chipset versions to support, until we release the new cd. We have updates Broadcom family chipsets for DSS, NAS-R3 and iSCSI-R3 for our customers. Please ask support@open-e.com to provide one. We focus on many platform products in fact we are highly recognized for this, other then Microsoft who else? Not to mention free support.

Our USB has over 10,000 write cycles (which we hardly use at all) and the MTBF is 1Mil. hours, no moving parts (spindles) and less power.

Open-E is in 52 countries, sells to government’s departments, military, public, privet corporations and very little basic users. Review our list of resellers, more then most and so many not even listed for OEM and non competitive reasons.

Open-E has been in business starting September 9, 1998 and has no debt. We are in many shows (please review our events) and now a major member with Intel - right along with Falconstor and others.

http://storagecommunity.intel.com/ks...df22243ad1ddc3

Not sure if you are aware but Open-E is rated highly with a recognized name like Intel, for use with the Intel Storage Server SSR212MC2. Also listed is Microsoft, Falconstor and Wasabi.

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/storage/ssr212mc2/

Closing the doors --- more like we need a bigger door!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    We focus on many platform products in fact we are highly recognized for this, other then Microsoft who else? Not to mention free support.
    Linux? ( That you used for your products ) , the hardware support come from the vendor or from the community and you use it into Open-E , the reason for me to use Open-E is because of his great web interface and because my boss don't know anything about command line so he want to be able to save his ass if something goes wrong , if I had time I would used Sun ZFS or a Plain command line linux but I have been ask to have a more friendly users product. If something goes wrong can I call Open-E and have someone here via airplane tomorrow morning?(and I don't talk about a monkey that have never touch command line Linux I talk about a enginneer of Open-E or at least someone that know what is doing)

If I buy two module can I update it from any PC at any time?(one spare,one live) , package deal with one backup and one live?

Command lines? Yes we use them and have to for our Remote Support function utilizing an SSH connection that is encrypted for outbound only (TCP port 65500). But from end user standpoint we do not allow for this and as you stated, like your boss, realizing the value in simplicity with a product can provide benefits with additional administration knowledge.
    We never had to fly out the next day in all the years Open-E has been in operation; usually we provide this support remotely as stated before. Most of our resellers provide response times that you might require; you might want to check with them although this will require additional cost as with most industry companies do charge for this. I am sure NetApp, Falconstor, Wasabi, EMC, Microsoft and others do not provide this for free as they use in conjunction with resellers to assist for cases of 4,8,24 hour onsite response times.

You can update the modules from any pc and then place back into the USB header pins of the MB. When updating make sure you select option 1 to keep existing settings. And as always like any OS save your configs and setup located in the Maintenance > Miscellaneous. Also save the config locally and on your system as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"