Visit Open-E website

Thread: SSD as Cache in DSS V7

Question SSD as Cache in DSS V7

Hi!

I want to ask, can I use a SSD drive as cache in DSS V7?
    I just saw this:
    http://www.open-e.com/products/data-...-and-benefits/

SSD caching support
    Open-E DSS V6 supports Adaptec MaxIQ SSD cache kit which enables the server to store frequently used data on a fast SSD drive. This powerful caching solution can make the storage operate up to 8 times faster than the HDD-only solution. It can be used with any Adaptec Series 5Z, 5 or 2 Storage Controller. All you have to do is to get the Adaptec MaxIQ SSD Cache Kit and use its SSD drive with your Storage Controller. Then Open-E DSS V6 will automatically use it.

It would be really nice that the V7 use a SSD drive as cache.

Thanks!!

What I mean is to use one SSD drive as cache, without change the RAID controller.

Normally you do this in the begining before using the RAID array but I believe it still can be done like the LSI Cachecade. I would also use 2 SSD for a RAID 1 so that you wont lose any of the data that is in the 1 SSD drive if it fails as it will be in a RAID 0.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

My problem is that, with my hardware, i´m having poor speed/high latency.
    I have thought that OPEN-E DSS V7 may use a SSD as cache like vSAN does.

Here we have tried Starwind software V6 and it works great, it uses system RAM as cache.
    Then i thought that FILE I/O in DSS V7 will work the same (this is because we saw that With Block I/O the ram usage is low).
    I have setup FILE I/O Write-Back for testing and I have found this surpprise:

Since when i cannot use FILE I/O in cluster mode?

Thanks!

Yes, with File I/O we dont use this for the Failover - stated on page 52 of the manual. Now beginning of next month we will be launching a new product that will be based on ZFS that you WILL be able to use the SSD drives for caching

We will be providing more information on this new product on our website with the other functions like Compression, Thin Provisioning and De-duplication and more...
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    Yes, with File I/O we dont use this for the Failover - stated on page 52 of the manual. Now beginning of next month we will be launching a new product that will be based on ZFS that you WILL be able to use the SSD drives for caching

We will be providing more information on this new product on our website with the other functions like Compression, Thin Provisioning and De-duplication and more...
    Great news!!
    It will be available as a free update?

There is no upgrade from the DSS versions to this new product as this a different product and is using ZFS which the DSS are not based on ZFS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

So, we have to buy this new software because our license is only for DSS?

As of now yes because these are 2 different products and feature sets also you may not have the proper hardware. We will be looking into this to see what types of upgrades we might be able to offer but as of now there is none.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"