Visit Open-E website

Thread: Snapshots

Default Snapshots

Hi,

I’v been testing a bit with Open-E iSCSI Enterprise connected to a ESX 3.0 server. The connection is working ok, I think. But I have some questions about the snapshot functionality. I was copying a VM from DAS to de iSCSI target. While te copying was progressing is scheduled a snapshot, and gues what, the copy procedure aborted with an IO error. I replicated the problem several times. My question is, is this normal behavior, or I’m a doing something wrong?

Rick

Default Snapshot

Could you first test the snapshot without the copying process occurring at the same time. This way we are verifying that the snapshot is set correctly. Also check to see if you have 4GB of swap space assigned in the iSCSI Volume Manager. IO performance issues can be caused by improper settings from the initiator side and the how you are using it within the iSCSI Server raid array. Also Snapshot needs 10% or more of the total size of the iSCSI Volumes to efficiently work. The manual offers additional setup recommendations for the initiator; see section – “Using snapshot with Open-E iSCSI “