Visit Open-E website

Thread: No boot loader anymore

Default No boot loader anymore

I've recently upgraded my DSS7 ISCSI Active - Active enviorment to DSS7 update 12 (it was update 10).

Since then one of the hosts hangs, and then the complete storage hangs. Today it happen again, this time I had to power off the system. After that the system started up normally again. It gave the messages that after this reboot the systems LV-groups had to be file-checked. I've tried that. After that the system won't start up again. The boot loader seems to be missing.

Is there a way to restore the boot loader without installing the system again? Or something like a rescue-mode with prompt? When I start the installer it detects the two partitions (one for the storage and one for the open-e system).

Is there a way to get the latest configuration back? Or preserve it.

Please help!

Kind regards,

Gerjan

If you have a boot media issue that the DSS is installed on then you might need to replace it and then restore from the GUI in Maint. > Misc and restore from the file that you saved from a last known good running state with your settings.cnf or if there are no issues you will see some restore date points fore the configuration and setup.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    If you have a boot media issue that the DSS is installed on then you might need to replace it and then restore from the GUI in Maint. > Misc and restore from the file that you saved from a last known good running state with your settings.cnf or if there are no issues you will see some restore date points fore the configuration and setup.
    Is it possible to rescue anything from it? Or boot to recover the MBR?

If you have saved the settings.cnf from the GUI and restored then yes otherwise when you do a new install check the GUI in Maint. > Misc and see the last restore point.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    If you have saved the settings.cnf from the GUI and restored then yes otherwise when you do a new install check the GUI in Maint. > Misc and see the last restore point.
    It is a dedicated raid-1 array. Is it possible to install temporarily a new installation on another disk (for instance a USB-disk) and then get to the restore point, or do i have to install it again on the same disk? (won't it be erased then??)

You can with the USB new install use the restore for the config and setup.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"