Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-e Dss v7 lite kernel panic

Default Open-e Dss v7 lite kernel panic

Hi All.

I installed latest v7 lite (up12) to my HP 380 G5 sever with P400 (512bbwc) raid card and configured Raid6 through ACU.
    I created two lun in ACU: first lun 2 GB for DSS and the second lun with all other space for data.
    Installed dss and configured as FC target. (i have 2 port 4GB QLE 2462)

So, I presented logical volume to my Windows 2012 R2 with Hyper-v role installed to Dell r610 with the same FC QLE 2462 card

I put some virtual machines to this storage disk and tested. Everything works fine.
    Next i installed failover cluster feature, ran all compatibility tests and created a cluster (currently with only one host).
    Just for information - I used only one port of FC card to connect storage and host.

!
    But when i tried to add a disk to cluster - DSS became inaccessible and showed me kernel panic srceen.
    i tried again and again got a panic.

I installed previous up11 - result was the same, but it didn`t show me kernel panic screen only blink by keyboard leds.

I instsalled latest V6 lite and it works ! not tested yet with a high load but it works.

I tried the same software configuration of V7 + win server with other hardware
    windows server installed on dell 610 + dss v7 installed on desktop - kernel panic
    windows server installed on desktop + dss v7 installed on HP DL 380 - kernel panic.

Please help me with my issue - I want to use V7 (and maybe to buy a license in future).

You mean to say the trial version -- not Lite version.
    When configuring the cluster, add the storage to the cluster prior to starting cluster services.
    And by the way, what specifically is the error?

I put lite activation code, rebooted server, but not activated by internet (my test setup has no connection to internet)
    >>add the storage to the cluster prior to starting cluster services.
    I will try this tomorrow.

But anyway I did the same operations with v6 and v7 and it works with v6.

How can i copy kernel paic log from dss ?
    kernel panic gave a lot of output - i think it might be more then one screen, but it is not possible to shift+pgup to see it.
    i can make a photo of panic screen.

Change over to the full version trial instead of the Lite version. Some of the things you are doing are not fully supported in Lite version.
    You can grab system logs from STATUS-->Hardware screen in the webGUI.

Strange i sent replay yesterday but still can`t see it.

I installed full version from dss7.0up12_b10529.oe_i.iso selected Lite, put activation code, but not activated.
    today i connected it to internet and activated.

>>When configuring the cluster, add the storage to the cluster prior to starting cluster services.
    I`m sorry how is it possible ? ( when i shut down failover cluster - i can`t do anything with cluster configuration)

In my previous tests i added online disk to cluster and it always fails with V7.

Today i put disk offline in windows disk management and tried to add it to cluster disks
    Failover cluster manager -> storage -> disks: add disk
    - result was the same - kernel panic.

You stated that you are using the Lite version but this version that is Free does not have the cluster feature. The screen shot is showing issues with the IRQ management can you go into the BIO of the motherboard and turn off all power management features then boot again.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I reinstalled open-e, got trial key and put it in DSS.
    next i reset bios in HP and disabled all power saving options.
    but without luck - the same kernel panic.

next i disabled all cpu features - such as virtualization, DEP, etc. - no luck.

If you interested in logs i can send them to you.

PS: this server ran windows and linux virtual machies with windows 2008 r2 hyper-v without any issues more than 3 years. only hdd and FC adapter were added.
    But since i have 3 identiacl FC cards (bios show them as FC1242, DSS as HPAE312A) and tested in various combinations with desctop and server hardware i think this issue related to FC cards..

check for firmware updates in the FC cards.

they have latest firmware for QLE-2462 (3.24)

disable APM and ACPI from the console screen (ctrl+alt+t-->;boot options-->;Boot parameters