Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Target

Default Update

Just to let you know we have the Fibre channel target working in DSS but had to down grade our Fibre cards to 23xx 2GB cards. I have been told that the 4GB cards are being tested and fingers crossed there may be a fix at some point in the near future maybe august sometime.

The performance we are getting at the moment is very good we are getting an average combined read/write of 265MB/s using iometer/10 workers/ 10 outstanding io's we ran the same test on a dell AX150 FC and the peformance was poor compared to open-e.

Cant wait for the four GB card to be available.

Cheers

Gavin

Thanks for update!!! This is great when you report these stats!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Garvin,

Any special tricks? I'm having a heck of a time using the latest DSS demo CD to talk to a esx 3.0.2 cluster using a qla2342 controller in the dss server (dual port 2gb). I've got the ports set to target (although my sanbox switch shows them as initiator, seems odd), the lun presented in fc manager, and my esx nodes defined in the wwn manager section.

I got iSCSI working fine without problems. I wanted to redo the testing using 2gb FC cards, I just cannot get the dss luns to show up on the esx nodes, they are all zoned properly, etc.

Any ideas?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gharding
    Just to let you know we have the Fibre channel target working in DSS but had to down grade our Fibre cards to 23xx 2GB cards. I have been told that the 4GB cards are being tested and fingers crossed there may be a fix at some point in the near future maybe august sometime.

The performance we are getting at the moment is very good we are getting an average combined read/write of 265MB/s using iometer/10 workers/ 10 outstanding io's we ran the same test on a dell AX150 FC and the peformance was poor compared to open-e.

Cant wait for the four GB card to be available.

Cheers

Gavin

You may want to send this to our support team with logs to see if we can see anything that would prevent you seeing them. The only thing I found from another customer he had set his ESX to Point-to-Point on his FC HBA (VMWare client side) and it worked for him.

I hope that the 4GB driver is released this August as well; I know they are working very hard on getting this done.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default FC target

Hi Tom,

I have not used the FC target with Vmware ESX server yet, at the moment we are using SQL, EXCHANGE and Progress Database Servers connecting by FC to DSS with volume replication and it works really well. Our Vmware VI 3 servers at the moment are running vm's from iscsi with replication and once again no problems. I am getting more fibre cards in this week and hope to start testing vmware with FC. I will keep you posted if I managed to find a solution.

I will add that initially I had to do a factory reset on the cards in the DSS server then set them in DSS as targets and then reboot the DSS server. Then Created some FC Groups, created WWN Aliases add the Aliases to the FC Group. Created the FC Volumes (do not select initialize otherwise you will not see them) assigned the FC volumes to the FC Group. Then on the clients I just installed the card and the LUN's appeared without having to configure the cards.

Regards

Gavin

Thanks for the update, have you tested 1.30 DSS in the "Engineering_phase" directory? Final release is scheduled next. Also this would be good to add in the VMware section - looks like you are ahead of most .
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd, no I havent looked at 1.30 yet what are the changes / updates that are in this release. Do I use the normal FTP details previously supplied to me?

Regards

Gavin

Yes same FTP - go to /In_Engineering_Phase/DSS_ver_1_30_b_2783_beta

Preliminary release notes of DSS ver.1.30

NEW:
    • synchronous (on-line) replication for NAS volumes
    • Improved error/warning notification system
    • Web Console Tool for LSI SAS management on the WebGUI
    • Improved Intel SSR212MC2 ("McKay Creek" server) monitoring
    • Support for block I/O for iSCSI protocol
    • Support for 4k block size in FC protocol

UPDATED:
    - improved schedule for restart and shutdown
    - intel NIC drivers

FIXED
    • support for Windows PDC/ADS domains (including trusted domains)
    - soft raid0 problem with physical unit larger than 4TB
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I think I will wait until they have support for the 4GB FC Cards which is what we are really wanting and the realtime failover which I thought was going to be this month or has the dates change on these two options?

Regards

Gavin

Update!!! This has been rescheduled and no set date will be announced. We request that all inquiries to this subject be on hold. Thank you for understanding this issue. No further details are available concerning the Auto Failover.

Please disregard any dates to this subject!!

"Failover was delayed and is expected in September"
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"