Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reward / Situation for Cracking the DSS Trial Encyption?

Default Reward / Situation for Cracking the DSS Trial Encyption?

Hello,

It is possible to decrypt your DSS trial CD. The vast collection of scripts and drivers contained are interesting. After inspecting your modified binaries and kernel, I do not believe the GPL is being satisfied for a number of reasons. I am not going to post the filesystem online however I am interested in the licensing legality of your software.

Post any feedback on this situation. If proof is required, I can provide.

When you purchase our product you receive CD that has sources for all programs and the kernel. It does not contain our sources for GUI and scripts.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thank you. Is it permissible to distribute your GPL'd trial version?

You can download as many as you wish.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I did not ask about downloading it from your site nor the quantity of times.

Is it permissible to distribute the source version of your GPL'd trial version of DSS?

Not knowing all your intentions but looks as though you would be better off contacting our office in Germany to discuss this inquiry with our marketing or legal group.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks for the tip. I emailed you and a few addresses which I found in the opene phone home script about one of the specific gpl violations which I located.

Again not really knowing what your intentions are but we are certified by the free software foundation. Every package of our software is shipped with a cd containing all used sources. When purchasing our product on a USB DOM you receive a CD containing the sources as stated before.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I have this CD when I purchased the DSS and the FSF certified them to be compliant to the GPL rules.

The Demo CD is available on the website and is available for download. Anyone who is able to download a Demo CD should be able to receive sources (INCLUDING MODIFICATIONS) for any previously GPL'd software used by the Open-E distributors. The two source CDs available on the Demo CD download page do not contain all used/modified GPL'd source code used by the developers. If anyone cares to verify this, the most simple example is available by extracting the init executable from the initrd named "INIT" in the /isolinux directory on the Demo CD. This can be done by doing the following:

[QUOTE]
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    mkdir /tmp/opene-init
    cd /tmp/opene-init
    zcat /mnt/cdrom/isolinux/INIT|cpio -div
    [QUOTE]

To view human readable strings present in the file simply pass the file 'init' to '/usr/bin/strings', the most easily verifiable bit is from the GPL'd switchroot.c:

strings /tmp/opene-init/init|grep switchroot
    Simply googling the returned error messages using google's codesearch:
    http://www.google.com/codesearch

Will reveal the original source.

Further analysis with a disassembler will show that the code flow is almost identical to the original source.

The issue here is that this init executable is obviously not identical to the original GPL'd version. The reason probably being to hide the process of mounting their encrypted loop file systems.

Open-E please release the modified source to this executable or stop claiming GPL compliance.

MD5 (nasexe/activation.py) = e61c86466abd23bd4eaf01a9c8564236
    MD5 (nasexe/trial/iledni) = 11b447c235843b5a76ba9618c2a2a40c
    MD5 (nasexe/kbtest) = 3935a1c35e094647dec76cad84c9e9c1