Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Target

Default FC Target

We have updated to the latest version of DSS to test the FC target feature, is there any documenttion on how to setup the dss to work as a FC target. As we have no luck doing the following

1) changed the FC to T in setup\fibre channel
    2) created FC volumes in configuration\volumes
    3) added the FC volume to the default group in configuration\FC Target Manager
    4) added a wwn alias of the client computer in configuration\FC Target Manager

the client can not see the volumes we are using qlogic QLE2462 cards in DSS and client computers and a brocode silkworm 3250 FC switch. Any help would be appreciated

Can you update to latest that was released today on our FTP, site final version 121 build 2722 and let me know if this fixes the issue. Additionaly FC Target has no MPIO now, we will add it soon.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Tom,

I have applied the update but still have the same issue is it possible for more information such as

1) do i need to make any changes to the qlogic card in the DSS server to act as a Target or is it just changing the FC to T in setup\fibre channel.

2) In the configuration\FC Target Manager the WWN alias is the client's HBA wwn or the DSS server HBA wwn?

3) Must the qlogic cards be loop or point to point.

Maybe the develpoers can provide information on there test setup of this just in case I have made some mistakes. Is there anybody out there that has it working?

Thanks

Gavin

Try to apply the 1.21 b. 2722 again but select option back to manufacture defaults. The reason is could be the fact the MPIO update was installed. Currently you can have only one to function.

When enabling the FC Controller set the function to Target not Initiator in Setup > FC Channel.
    Leave the defaults for group. You do not need to add any additional groups.

If directly connecting to the server without switch set for loop if switch set point to point. You want to keep it consistent on both ends.

Then use the FC Initiator from the QLogic.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I have done what you have suggested without sucess the only point i am unclear about is you mention the FC initiator from qlogic?

Gavin

Disregard "Then use the FC Initiator from the QLogic" this was meant for the Setup > FC for selecting I (initiator from the QLogic) or T (Target) - Typo for got to delete it..

I have asked our engineers to look into this as others are receiving the same issue. Hopefully next week we can resolve this.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks for all your help, I have tried many things none of which have worked I will wait for your the engineers to look at it. One question when creating a FC volume must it be initialized or is this only relevant to iscsi volumes. I have noticed that when creating new iscsi volumes the performance for clients already connected to iscsi volumes decreases substantially while the new volume is initialized.

E.g using iometer we are getting a combined read write of 145MB/s but when running the same test while creating a new iscsi volume the performace drops to 15MB/s. Just thought I would share my experiance.

Gavin

Try to allow the initialization to complete first before tests. Also what was the system status from CPU readings.
    When systems saw performance issues was the GUI of the DSS slow or not. Many times overhead or bottlenecks could be some other area. Send in the logs to engineering to verify speeds of drives are other cause. iSCSI and FC Volumes are given the choice to use the Initialization.

Notes from manual:

This option is available when creating iSCSI volume(s), its for security reasons. iSCSI volume will be initialized after creation process. When iSCSI volume is initializing then 'enque' button will show up. With this button you can send iSCSI volume that is initializing to the back of the initialization queue. Every volume that is waiting in queue for initialization can be also send to the back of queue, the same as volume that is already initializing.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Was this ever resolved, only i can't get it to work...
    Open-e creates the Lun, and presents it.

Trying to get vmware esx 3.01 to see it, but it never see's the Lun at all.. Not using a FC switch at present so it is a direct connection between the boxes.

paul

Not yet as the issue is with 4GB FC cards. We need more time but the 1 and 2GB work.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"