Visit Open-E website

Thread: Can I execute linux commands on the kernel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can I execute linux commands on the kernel

Can i open an ssh shell and execute linux commands on the kernel

I have a nas with two logical volumes and two shares. I would like to move files from one share to another. So rather than use cp on a remote client I would like to directly copy the files from one share to another using cp. This way the data will never leave the server and so should transfer much faster.

Thanks in advance for your help

Peter

There is no shell access, but you can use the Data Replication feature that is built in the DSS and use a loop back IP Address 127.0.0.1, create a small snapshot and assign to the NAS volume then set one of the shares to be the destination. See link

November 2010
    Open-E DSS Asynchronous Data Replication within a System

http://www.open-e.com/service-and-support/library/how-to-resources/?page=3
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

There is no shell access to the kernel.
    You may use data replication to move data from one share to another:
    http://www.open-e.com/site_media/dow...n_a_System.pdf

Thanks for the replies. The problem is slightly more difficult. I am using symantec backupexec. I back up servers to disk, using open-e nas boxes as the destination. the open e and hardware work well.

However backupexec should expire the disk files when they are over their retention age and purge then from the symantec database and delete them from the nas box. However it appears that the the backup sets are being removed from the database but not being removed from the nas box.

So this means that my 120Tb nas boxes are filling up with expired backup sets. Tech support at symantec are being less than useful and just suggest I delete all the old files, with out knowing what is in side the archives. So I need to scan the archives before I delete them. As I have over 100 tb of archive files I dont want to scan them all. So my plan was to create another share. Present this to my backup server and them move the symantec archive files into it. Then just scan this smaller subset of files. This will allow me to sensibly confirm I can delete the files. But I will still need to transfer 30-50 tb of files. the synchronization will not allow me to almost randomly pick out files. This choice will need to be done manually but as it is only 100 -150 files it is a nuisance but can be done

Peter

What is the version of DSS you running? We do have a file commander addon that can be used from the console, but only for DSS V6, and DSS V7.

dss v6

is it possible to obtain the file commander addon?

that would definitely help I think

Peter

check your private messages