Visit Open-E website

Thread: 32-bit DSS6, maximum size of logical volume 7.4 TB

Default 32-bit DSS6, maximum size of logical volume 7.4 TB

Hi

I have a SuperMicro server with two raid units: one of 7 TB and one of 16 TB. The total licensed capacity is 24 TB. The 16 TB unit is assigned to volume group vg01. However, there is only 7434.94 GB free to create a NAS volume in vg01, although the unit size is 16 TB. Is this a limitation of the 32-bit system? According to the knowledge base it should be 16 TB, but maybe I am overlooking something.

Thanks,

Koen

32-bit does have a limit to 16TB per Logical Volume, but I dont understand your question, are you saying you can not create a 7.XXTB Logical Volume?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Maybe this picture can help. As you can see, the unit size is 14879 GB (in reality there is 16 TB but I left a disk out of the RAID for testing) and there are no logical volumes defined. Still, the free size available for a new volume is only 7434.94 GB.

Koen

Apparently, the picture is not coming through. The link to the screenshot is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1J...ew?usp=sharing

Is the RAID controller rebuilding or has been expanded and has completed? If not then wait till it has. If it has and is completed then try restart the system to see if the free space is now available.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

The problem is solved. I recreated vg01 and now I have all unit space available.
    Thanks for your help.