Visit Open-E website

Thread: Will this work for no downtime upgrade from DSS v6 to DSS v7 with iSCSI Failover?

Default Will this work for no downtime upgrade from DSS v6 to DSS v7 with iSCSI Failover?

I was wondering if this would work to do a no downtime upgrade from DSS v6 to DSS v7 with Failover currently in use.. It's running the last release v6 in an iSCSI Failover configuration (for VMware VMFS).

1 - Failover from primary v6 to secondary v6
    2 - Configure the ESXi hosts and add the DIRECT IP of the secondary v6 as a target
    3 - Stop the cluster services
    4 - Shutdown the primary V6, replace drives with new drives, install v7
    5 - Recreate the volumes with Failover configured, but not running
    6 - Configure ESXi hosts and add the DIRECT IP of the primary v7 as target
    7 - vMotion everything from secondary v6 to primary v7
    8 - Shutdown secondary v6, replace drives with new drives, install v7
    9 - Recreate volumes with Failover
    10 - Start Failover services
    11 - Add the Failover virtual IP to ESXi hosts
    12 - Remove the DIRECT IP from the ESXi hosts

If it won't work, then we'll just migrate everything to a different available cluster. I was just trying to avoid doing a vMotion twice (first time to get everything off v6 cluster, second time to bring it back after it's running v7).

Thanks
    MJP Technologies - Intel Technology Provider Platinum Member

When upgrading from V6 to V7 there is a new version of how the Failover works and the Volume Replication so there will be down time needed to perform the upgrade as you wont be able to keep your existing Failover and volume replication settings and you will need to stop all the tasks and delete them and recreate them.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    When upgrading from V6 to V7 there is a new version of how the Failover works and the Volume Replication so there will be down time needed to perform the upgrade as you wont be able to keep your existing Failover and volume replication settings and you will need to stop all the tasks and delete them and recreate them.
    Thanks, Todd - I think I was accounting for that by doing the direct IP connection? I'm just not sure if I can setup the iSCSI volume on the v7 unit with all failover settings in place and still work on it before the second unit is running.

Step 2 should be more like "_RE_configure the hosts so that they're connecting directly to the secondary unit's iSCSI Target IP, not the virtual IP" - this way, I'm bypassing any of the failover configured settings? Then if I stop failover, the iSCSI Target should still respond? At that point, the primary v6 can be wiped, drives replaced, and then v7 installed, setup with all the v7 settings and configure it for failover (though I won't be able to start it)... Then map that new v7 to the hosts, vmotion everything from the v6 box to the v7, and then repeat the same for the now empty v6 box?

I guess I should be clear - this will not really be an "upgrade" in the sense that I'm upgrading the version.. We'll be pulling the drives out since they're all spindles, and getting replaced with SSDs, so, I'll be doing a fresh v7 install on them.

Yes you can connect to the IP Address of the NICs to the Targets just make sure that you are connecting to the Source volume of the replicated iSCSI volume, if you feel that you would like more clarification please feel free to call us.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Sounds good, I'll call tomorrow to make sure this will work... Would love not to have to do more vMotions than necessary.