Visit Open-E website

Thread: Getting Open-e DSS to talk to APC network management card

Default Getting Open-e DSS to talk to APC network management card

Hi, I have many servers that use the apcupsd software to talk to the APC network management card and ensures that the UPS can signal that the OS should shutdown when battery near exhaustion. I do NOT use Powerchute software. In the config file for apcupsd there are only three values that need setting to make it work:

UPSCABLE=ether
    UPSTYPE pcnet
    DEVICE 10.0.0.18:apc:admin user phrase

I can find no place to specify the username/password that is needed to talk to the APC management card. Having perused the forums, there is some mention of needing to use SNMP instead, but there is not a clear guide on how to do this.

Please can you assist me?

Thanks,

Martin

See if this will work, use the MGE then select Master or Slave and UM-link (SNMP), there it will have username and password.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd,

Following your suggestion, I find that it will not accept passwords with a space. My secret phrase is "admin user phrase" and can't be entered. Surely APC UPSs are one of the more common systems out there, so it is surprising that Open-E DSS does not directly support this configuration?

Using special characters like a space is noted when using them and we do provide a popup when they are used and list them and is all that we have. We could look into this if you submit a support ticket but for updates this would require Premium support and if more work outside of the current TRIAL version then we could see if there is another way keep in mind this is why we offer the 60 TRIAL version that we offer for testing before you place into production and we state this in other areas of the manual.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd,

Very disappointing indeed!

If I actually paid for technical support, what assurance do I have that anything will actually be done about this? This must be one of the leading UPS systems out there!

Do you feedback these issues to Open-E or just tell us what DSS doesn't do?

Quote Originally Posted by msutherland25 View Post
    Do you feedback these issues to Open-E or just tell us what DSS doesn't do?
    As you can see in many of the 1000's of posts we assist on the forum to help many engineers on troubleshooting issues not just what the DSS does not do that is stated in the manual, online help for the features and other areas.... This is why we always suggest to test before you place into production. We would have to see if this can be done and how much work is involved. I have researched on the forum and our support DB and I have found no one requesting this in the many years that our products have been on the market. I have sent you an email where you can send an email to your question to see if this can be done before you purchase support.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thank you Todd, I have sent an email as you suggest...