Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost and Locked Configuration/NAS Settings

Default Lost and Locked Configuration/NAS Settings

I have an older installation of 6.0up98.8401.7337 32bit that has files on it I need to copy off. When I boot the server all is well except I am unable to set any configuration settings under "Configutraion/NAS Settings", such as the badly needed "Authentication Method" where I need to set the Workgroup (internal LDAP). NFS settings can not set and the FTP settings the same way, nothing sticks. When I enter the settings and hit reply, it comes back defaulted to nothing. I did the reset configuration utility on the console and nothing changes.

Under "Status/System" the "SMB Transfer Protocol" is "On" but status is "Failed", same with the "SMB Naming Service".

At the console I've run the check disk utility and the drives come back clean. I really need to get these files off and I've got a few hours into messing with this, but nothing ever changes, never able to get Samba, FTP, or anything on that configuration page running.

Anybody out there have any advice, I really would like to get some files off this box.

Do you see your logical volumes correctly?
    Are you sure you booted 32bit mode?

Logical volumes are fine, without any doubt booted in 32 bit mode, I've run the console reset configuration utility and yet still unable to get SMB running.

Did you try to run the Repair Filesystem from the Console Extended Tools? It could be something corrupted from the RAID Array you may need to look into the Software Raid logs from the logs in DSS V6.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Could be a boot media problem, or files on the boot media.
    You can try new media, or attach current media to a windows PC, and run checkdisk.

I have run the repair file system three times, never an error. I ran the install again from CD and installed a fresh copy onto the boot hard drive, which should have totally wiped the boot drive. The boot hard drive is simple PATA hard drive off the motherboard while the RAID is running on four SATA drives. After a full reinstall NOTHING changed, still unable to set anything on that entire "Settings" tab, while everything else seems to run fine. I've got HOURS into diagnosing this thing, and it's a real bummer. Wish I could read the log files, it would be nice to find out why Samba is failing.

Before I did a complete reinstall last weekend, the build running then was three or four builds earlier, a 2011 build. The built-in updater would always fail after the download, and it would not update pointing an .iso file at it. Since it wouldn't upgrade, and this failure goes back 3+ years, I left it running that old version all these years. Now that I'm running the last/current build of V6 it was surprising to find nothing changed, the same errors continue.

Should I wipe the boot drive and try installing DSS v6 again? Last time I didn't wipe, merely booted and installed. I thought the install process would wipe the boot media, but maybe it doesn't?

Yes as the previous forum support engineer stated use "You can try new media, or attach current media to a windows PC, and run checkdisk".
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

If you can not save anything from the settings menu, this is a sure sign of boot media failure. It should be replaced.