Visit Open-E website

Thread: JBOD Chassis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default JBOD Chassis

Hi All,

We currently use 2 x DSS V7 with Active-Active iscsi clusters and are looking at storage solutions with more features such as thin provisioning, Tiering, SSD caching etc.. We are looking at windows storage spaces and scale out file server and Jovian. My question is, with Jovian can we have redundent(mirrored) JOBD chassis? I feel that a JBOD chassis can still be a single point of failure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gharding View Post
    Hi All,

We currently use 2 x DSS V7 with Active-Active iscsi clusters and are looking at storage solutions with more features such as thin provisioning, Tiering, SSD caching etc.. We are looking at windows storage spaces and scale out file server and Jovian. My question is, with Jovian can we have redundent(mirrored) JOBD chassis? I feel that a JBOD chassis can still be a single point of failure

Thanks
    Yes, when creating the mirrored drive sets to use in the pool, you may choose a drive from each JBOD as half the mirrored set.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R View Post
    Yes, when creating the mirrored drive sets to use in the pool, you may choose a drive from each JBOD as half the mirrored set.
    That is what we want, I havent used JBOD chassis before so this is first for me on how they work. Can we use the SSD's for write back cache? Am I correct in thinking we will not need to use a network connection for replication/mirroring as this is carried out by the HBA which should mean better performance. Does the HBA have to be a raid controller or just a normal controller.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gharding View Post
    That is what we want, I havent used JBOD chassis before so this is first for me on how they work. Can we use the SSD's for write back cache? Am I correct in thinking we will not need to use a network connection for replication/mirroring as this is carried out by the HBA which should mean better performance. Does the HBA have to be a raid controller or just a normal controller.

Thanks

Have a look at this video:
    http://www.open-e.com/support/librar...n-e-joviandss/

Will the DELL 1420 storage chassis (JBOD) work, i know it is supported with windows storage spaces

This uses the LSI3108, so will be fine.