Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS wont boot

Default DSS wont boot

I'm trying to setup a new DSS install using the latest build of v7 (this is a licensed 16TB copy, but I haven't got to the point of adding the product to my portal yet).

We've set DSS up on plenty of hardware over the years, most of it SuperMicro based. This new system uses a SM X10DRi motherboard, and I'm attempting to install DSS onto a small SSD connected to SATA0. I've tried installing DSS to the SSD from USB and also by extracting the ISO to the SSD and running bootinst.exe. The problem is that upon boot, the system will stop at the 'SYSLINUX 3.82 EBIOS Copyright...' message and get no further. I've tried changing the BIOS setting from UEFI to Legacy and even DUAL, but it doesn't make any difference - it hangs every time. If I launch the system from the USB stick though, rather than running the installer, DSS loads ok, but I need to install and run it from the SSD!

The SATA mode is set to AHCI (not RAID), the the SSD is detected fine. It's first in the boot order (I disabled everything else). I did try another SSD just to be sure though, but that had the same problem. The hardware is brand new, and checks out ok.

Bit of a loss here, and I need to get this system up and running asap.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I'm trying to setup a new DSS install using the latest build of v7 (this is a licensed 16TB copy, but I haven't got to the point of adding the product to my portal yet).

We've set DSS up on plenty of hardware over the years, most of it SuperMicro based. This new system uses a SM X10DRi motherboard, and I'm attempting to install DSS onto a small SSD connected to SATA0. I've tried installing DSS to the SSD from USB and also by extracting the ISO to the SSD and running bootinst.exe. The problem is that upon boot, the system will stop at the 'SYSLINUX 3.82 EBIOS Copyright...' message and get no further. I've tried changing the BIOS setting from UEFI to Legacy and even DUAL, but it doesn't make any difference - it hangs every time. If I launch the system from the USB stick though, rather than running the installer, DSS loads ok, but I need to install and run it from the SSD!

The SATA mode is set to AHCI (not RAID), the the SSD is detected fine. It's first in the boot order (I disabled everything else). I did try another SSD just to be sure though, but that had the same problem. The hardware is brand new, and checks out ok.

Bit of a loss here, and I need to get this system up and running asap.
    I did a quick test, and installed CentOS 6.10 onto the SSD, and it installed, booted and ran perfectly. This tells me there's a problem with that DSS build and the installation is broken.

Did you perform the steps from my last post? I can assure you that there is nothing with the build or we would have heard from 1000's of complaints. See link below where I have asked others to look at the KB link to disable some settings in the BIOS.

https://forum.open-e.com/showthread....SYSLINUX-EBIOS
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ok, I took a step right back, and avoided the ISO route (SYSLINUX might have been installed as part of the bootloader by the ISO writing software). I download the ZIP, manually formatted the SSD as FAT32, then extracted the ZIP to the drive. I then ran bootinst.exe, which did it's thing. After this, DSS did boot ok, so I'm now in a better place.