Visit Open-E website

Thread: Issues with iSCSI Demo CD v 2006.07.26

Default Issues with iSCSI Demo CD v 2006.07.26

All below applies to ISCSI server demo CD v 2006.07.26 (iSCSI Enterprise Target Software - version 0.4.13)

1. Cannot create a volume group: Clicking on "Add" button gives a warning that all data on a unit will be lost. However, after that, the webpage displays "Add" again. My systems boots from CD-ROM on primary master, while a 40GB IDE HD Is connected to secondary master. The Unit Manager shows Unit H2 with the "Add" option.

The contents of addunit.log:
    [Mon Aug 7 13:01:19 CEST 2006] Add unit start
    parameter hdc new
    sector size 512 /dev/hdc
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1024 bytes transferred in 0.014174 seconds (72245 bytes/sec)
    [Mon Aug 7 13:01:20 CEST 2006] Add unit start
    parameter hdc new

vgdisplay :

Volume group "vg0" not found
    [Mon Aug 7 13:01:20 CEST 2006] DONE

[Mon Aug 7 13:01:41 CEST 2006] Add unit start
    parameter hdc new
    sector size 512 /dev/hdc
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1024 bytes transferred in 0.014977 seconds (68372 bytes/sec)
    [Mon Aug 7 13:01:41 CEST 2006] Add unit start
    parameter hdc new

vgdisplay :

[Mon Aug 7 13:01:41 CEST 2006] DONE

2. Selecting "Delete content of units" on the console menu results in error message:
    "File descriptor 3 left open"
    "Volume group vg0 not found"
    after which the system reboots.

Thank you.

Default iSCSI Demo CD

Could you try with another HD (Clean). Are there any other devices on the Secondary IDE? Additionally we have received your email in our support group as well. To help us from doubling efforts from email and forums from the same question could you send the replies back from the original email response that was submitted. Thank you.

I have exactly same problem as mentioned above. I downloaded the ISCSI-Entp Demo ISO yesterday. I can’t create VG0.

Default Demo CD

Try going into the console screen, enter the Extended tools menu: ctrl. + alt. + x
    Then select Delete contents of units. This will reboot the system, then see if you are able apply the VG0. Also could you provide a better description as to the type of system components i.e. CPU, RAID controller, IDE, SATA, SCSI or FC..... and so forth. This helps us tremendously as it is so difficult to understand without knowing what components are in use.

Thank you,

To-M

I am having this same issue using the actual product and not the demo CD. I have tried two different systems, same problem-- everything goes flawless until I try to create vg0, when I click 'add', the screen refreshes and it still says 'new'. I have even tried moving the drives from the RAID controller to the standard 2nd IDE port on the motherboard, etc. with the same results. I just can't seem to get vg0 created.... bah. Any help would be appreciated.

Setup (old lab box):
    -PIII-1000 CPU
    -Tyan S2515 Tiger LE
    -1.5GB RAM
    -(2) ATA100 Hard drives
    -(1) Intel GigE NIC

Everything goes fine until trying to add vg0 so I can create some targets. Let me know what other info I can provide to try and assist. Thank you.

Here is the output from addunit.log

[Sat Aug 26 22:49:40 EDT 2006] Add unit start
    parameter md0 new
    sector size 512 /dev/md0
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1024 bytes transferred in 0.013320 seconds (76877 bytes/sec)
    BLKRRPART: Invalid argument
    [Sat Aug 26 22:49:43 EDT 2006] Add unit start
    parameter md0 new

vgdisplay :

[Sat Aug 26 22:49:43 EDT 2006] DONE

Default Volume group "vg0" not found

Below are the hardware requirements necessary for our iSCSI versions to operate efficiently. We have seen this happen with lower speed processors. Our specifications, recommendations and support for iSCSI Enterprise support is as follows:
    1 GByte RAM, CPU 2.8 GHz or faster. This link provides the Hardware Requirements for the iSCSI Enterprise: http://www.open-e.com/nas/network_at...ow=description . Additionally the iSCSI Enterprise is based on a 2.6 Kernel version, if possible could you please try with a faster processor, as this will also provide additional performance values. You current RAM of 1.5GB is sufficient. Another issue could be that there is a previous partition. I would recommend resetting the DOM back to it’s default condition verify in the Extended tools that there is not any existing VG0 and delete unit after setting back to it’s default condition to verify there is nothing to delete. Also is there a 4GB Swap and 1GB reserved identified in the iSCSI Volume Manager.

ISCSI Enterprise
    Hardware Requirements:

- x86 - compatible PC
    - 1 GByte RAM
    - CPU ( 2,8 GHz or faster)
    - Ethernet card
    - IDE Port

ISCSI SMB
    Hardware Requirements:
    - x86 - compatible PC
    - 512 MByte RAM
    - CPU ( 2,4 GHz or faster)
    - Ethernet card
    - IDE Port

ISCSI SOHO
    Hardware Requirements:

- x86 - compatible PC
    - 512 MByte RAM
    - CPU ( 2 GHz or faster)
    - Ethernet card
    - IDE Port

Thanks for the support, yes-- the hardware I was using was really ancient. I build another low cost machine using some other spare parts and was successful in deploying iSCSI Enterprise... once I used suitable hardware, the installation and deployment was very fast and easy. Thanks again for the support.