Visit Open-E website

Thread: Partition size seen in Windows DIFFERENT than iSCSI logical volume defined in Dss7

Exclamation Partition size seen in Windows DIFFERENT than iSCSI logical volume defined in Dss7

Hi all,
    this morning something terrible and strange happened in a system with a cluster with 2 Hyper-V nodes, attached via 10Gb iSCSI , to a main storage Dss7 (in replica with a secondary storage Dss7).

Dss7 has 2 hardware raid5 set: a SSD and a SATA.

Dss7 esposes via iSCSI 4 logical volumes. 3 belongs to SSD raid set, and 1 belongs to SATA raid set

1 of the 3 SSD logical volumes is 2TB big defined in Dss7. And I see it via iSCSI on a Windows Server 2012 node as a 2TB disk. But when I assign a drive letter, and I go with windows explorer, I see it 512GB big...

and in Windows Explorer I see just a couple of file inside, while other files are 0KB size..... so that I cannot access them anymore!

Another strange thing is that the free space of that partition is about 1,76GB, but the files allocated on that partition count only for about 300GB... so why all this??

Where is the issue: on Dss7? Or on the Windows NTFS volume? ...or both?

Please help!

Federico Masi

If you use to be able to access the files then now you are not able too then I would look at the RAID Array before you perform any Check Disk operation on the Windows side.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    If you use to be able to access the files then now you are not able too then I would look at the RAID Array before you perform any Check Disk operation on the Windows side.
    No event signaled from Areca hardware Raid Array.

Just, suddenly, in the evening o in the night (I don't know exactly) something happened somewhere so that from Windows the partition became 0,5TB instead of 2TB...
    Take note that I was able to copy as much as 1.5TB of data just few days before in that partition and everything was apparently running smoothly!

I have seen things happen without events from the RAID controller due to several factors. Again if nothing has changed the RAID controller would be the 2st place to start to look then the Windows OS Event logs. After that you might want to submit a support ticket.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube