Visit Open-E website

Thread: NFS version support

Default NFS version support

I'm trying to find out which versions of NFS the latest versions of DSS v7 support. I can create an NFS share and mount it from a CentOS 8 client as NFSv3, but when I try and force NFSv4 (or 4.1/4.2), it doesn't work. As NFSv4 has been around since 2010 (and v4.2 since 2016), I'd be very surprised if DSS doesn't support those protocols as an NFS server.

Thanks

NFS v4 will not be supported in DSS V7. We will have this in our JovianDSS product this year. Only NFS v3 will work with DSS V7. There where many reasons why we did not implement this in DSS V7 and one of the main factors was that it was NOT a big feature seller and demand from the market or we would have implemented it and over 65% was using the DSS V7 with Block usage (iSCSI and FC). NFS is a good a protocol but being over 30 years old not many where using it and thus our focus on other features there where being requested.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Cheers Todd. I can understand that in a way, but NFSv4 has been around for a long, long time - it's not new, and probably pre-dates DSS v7 anyway. It probably wouldn't have made sense to implement it in DSS v6, but I'd have thought v7 would have had this enabled since the beginning.

Also, one other question then. When you create an NFS 'share' in v7, what's the underlying filesystem used (EXT4/XFS etc). This isn't a block protocol, so it must have an underlying filesystem.

-Tony

I know what you mean Tony!!

The XFS is the underlying filesystem.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube