Visit Open-E website

Thread: OS X Client support: AppleTalk or AFP over IP?

Default OS X Client support: AppleTalk or AFP over IP?

Hi there,

since I'm asked to build a ~2 TB NAS für two Mac clients and plan on using Open-E NAS - R3 SOHO USB for that, I couldn't find any details on Mac OS X support (other than "Mac OS X support :-p)

My question: Does Open-E NAS - R3 SOHO USB support the AppleTalk protocol (limited to 2 GB max share size or funny things happen, limited to 40 Mbit/s by protocol = outdated and useless) or does it support AppleShare over IP (ASIP) on Port 548 with full speed? I'm asking because most low cost NAS like Buffalo's LinkStation Pro (got my iTunes on there) support ASIP by now...

The sooner this is answered the better, I'm supposed to make a price quote today!

Thanks!

Sorry to say we do not have this product NAS-R3 SOHO, we only have NAS-R3 Enterprise. We do support the AppleTalk protocol to access shares on the NAS-R3 Enterprise Server. I have not seen any issue in our records with the 2GB max share size with our software either.

For testing and verifying the NAS-R3 Enterprise, I would download the Demo-CD from the website below. This will take a very short time to evaluate to give your customer verification that he needs. When accessing the link you will be sent an access code then re-enter the site. In the downloads section you will see a Quick Start Guide, please read this.

http://www.open-e.com/data_storage_s...l_cd_downloads

Just to give you a short version of our help section on AFP.

How to use AppleTalk with the NAS server:
    • In the setup -> NAS server enable AppleTalk,
    • In setup ->NAS resources menu select a share that you want to be shared with AppleTalk,
    • Enable AppleTalk for this share.
    '''How to connect to the NAS AppleTalk server:'''
    In MAC OS 9:
    • Open the Chooser (APPLE MENU->Chooser),
    • Click on AppleShare,
    • If the Server "NAS" does not appear in the fileserver list click "Server IP address" and enter the NAS server IP,
    • Click "OK" and choose a login type. Enter a user name and password if you want to login as a specified user,
    • From available options select shares that you want to mount,
    • The icon of the mounted share will appear on the desktop,
    • To open the share click on its icon,
    • To unmount the share drop its icon onto the trash.
    In MAC OSX 10.3:
    • Click on the MAC HD, then Applications then Utilities,
    • From the Directory Access check if AppleTalk is active; if not -> activate it,
    • If the server "NAS" does not appear in the Network list, open a web browser and enter the IP address of the AppleTalk server. afp://192.168.1.3 (very important --> "afp://" ),
    • Choose a login type. Enter a user name and password when you want to login as a specific user,
    • If you can not log in, click on the Directory Access/Authentication and change the path to search for authentication information,
    • From available shares select all you want to mount,
    • The icon of any mounted share will appear on the desktop.
    or second example is:
    • Click on "Connect to server" from the Finder (GO submenu),
    • Enter: afp://address_ip,
    • You can add a link to the AFP server by clicking on the "+" sign. This adds a link to the computer in the Favorite Servers field,
    • Choose a login type, enter a password if you want to login as a specific user,
    • From available shares select all you want to mount,
    • The icon of the mounted share will appear on the desktop.
    CONFIGURATION -> NAS settings -> Function: AppleTalk (AFP) Settings.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi,

using afp:// and then the IP shows it's AppleShareIP, so it's the real deal. Thanks!

Really great! This is I need. thank all eveyone 4 shared !
    calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt
    immobilier
    - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d’emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier