Visit Open-E website

Thread: Backup with AMANDA over NFS

Default Backup with AMANDA over NFS

Greetings,
    I am trying to setup a reliable backup scenerio with the backup server and the NAS.
    The documentation sites examples of setting up a 1% snapshot that is meant for nightly backups.

I set the snapshot for 19:00 to 18:55 every night, which should be ample time to pull the data before the mount goes stale. I have a cron job that umounts the share at the time of snapshot expiration and remounts when it is created.
    from fstab:
    Code:
    ###
    ## Backups
    ###
    nibbler-dmz:/snapshot/008/nas   /nibbler/nas  nfs  rw,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=14,intr,soft
    I see the data and the amanda checks look promising. Even during the backup I see that it seems to be pulling data to holding disk and then to tape. However, when I get the backup report it is filled (12 megs) of errors about stale nfs mounts.
    for example:
    Code:
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdelibs-apidocs-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdelibs-devel-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdemultimedia-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdemultimedia-devel-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdenetwork-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdenetwork-devel-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    ? gtar: ./public/kde/kdepim-3.5.2-0.1.fc5.i386.rpm: Warning: Cannot stat: Stale NFS file handle
    I don't think I am doing this right. Could it be that the snapshot backup method is not meant to be used like this? Perhaps I need to make a normal nfs mount to the shared directories and pull the data?

Does anyone have some thoughts or ideas I could try?

Best regards,

Default Backup with AMANDA over NFS »

From the server in which your Backup software resides if you are able to login and retrieve the snapshots manually then your NFS is properly loaded. Additionally I would add a normal NFS mount to the shared directories and try to pull the data as you had stated. Please forgive us, as we currently do not have enough knowledge to support your backup product.