Visit Open-E website

Thread: Tape backup Schedule

Question Tape backup Schedule

We have an Open-e NAS_XSR Enterprise with an Intel SRCS16 SATA Raid card configured with 6 x 500GB drives giving 2TB of storage and a hot spare.

We are doing our MS Windows Backups to this NAS server, and want to collectively back them up to a single tape on the NAS server. The combined size of the server backups is about 120GB. The Tape drive is a VXA-3 on an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller, and it detects properly and appears to back up to the tape using the included drivers.

We have tried to use the "Schedule" function in the tape backup area to schedule daily tape backup operations. When we create the scheduled operation, there is no indication that it has actually been applied. If I want to alter the scheduled time, there is no place I can see the scheduled tasks to edit them. When I create more tape backup shedules, it appears to over-ride the previous schedules. How can I set up and confirm schedules for 5 seperate daily backup jobs?

Is there somewhere that I can confirm that the scheduled backup job has been submitted and applied?

Is there a method of editing/deleting a scheduled tape backup job?

Is there some means of telling the progress of the tape backup job? The console just shows the "Backup in Progress" text for all tape functions. The tape drive has the activity lights on and it indicates that it is writing. It would be good to know what stage the backup is at (it could be at 10% or maybe 95%, but you won't know until it is finished).

The setup does not indicate if there is a verification performed (or if there is an option for it to be done). What does the backup process do here?

I hope you can assist with this so we can get our offsite backups going again very soon.

Many thanks

You can see that this is applied in the Local Backup function. You can edit the schedule in Function: Local backup schedule, this will allow you to edit previously saved local backup schedules. There are available 2 types of schedule: weekly and interval.

You can set up many schedule backups as you want for your jobs.
    Please read note in manual concerning Snapshot and Synchronization!!

To alter the schedule (as stated in the manual and on screen Question "?" marks) and edit properties of schedule please click the yellow down arrow button.

To review the control status of local backups please go to Status > Logical Volume the
    last backup will be displayed at top.

NOTE:
    Last two backups will be displayed. If you want to see status of more than last two backups please view logs. This is information is located in the manual or help section for accessing logs.

Tape functions only allow for rewind, eject or erase the tape.

Our internal backup function development for the NAS-XSR Enterprise has ended as of January 2007. All backup functions and instructions are located in the manual.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Unhappy Tape Backup

Thank you Todd for your reply.

However, your response refers to the "local backup" operation. I am seeking assistance with the TAPE BACKUP operation.

The pages and fields that you mention are there, and are applicable to the "local backup". They appear to have nothing to do with the tape backup.

Is there somewhere I can view a log of the TAPE BACKUP operation?

Is there somewhere that I can view, edit or delete the scheduled TAPE backup operations?

I have downloaded the logs and browsed through them, but I can not find any reference to the TAPE BACKUP jobs or schedules.

Our TAPE backups appear to be running, but I would still like some confirmation of the backup completion (and any skipped files or backup failures).

Thanks again.

Was not one of your questions "How can I set up and confirm schedules for 5 seperate daily backup jobs?" and others?? This was answered correctly as stated before everything in the manual and backup up functions are located in Maintenance > Backup in the GUI.

Additionally from your question regarding:

"However, your response refers to the "local backup" operation. I am seeking assistance with the TAPE BACKUP operation." "The pages and fields that you mention are there, and are applicable to the "local backup". They appear to have nothing to do with the tape backup." "Is there somewhere that I can confirm that the scheduled backup job has been submitted and applied?"

All are relate to the Backup function within the NAS-XSR Enterprise. This was answered correctly as all our backup functions and Tape functions are located in the Maintenance > Backup of the GUI. Only the function of the Local backup status will be shown in the Status > Logical Volume of the GUI near the bottom of the page you will see "Function: Local backup status & Function: Local restore status".

As for independent "TAPE FUNCTIONS" or Tape Backup functions outside of what we have been using with the NAS-XSR Enterprise since the first version, then we do not have this specific Tape Functionality that you are referencing (other then what I mentioned rewind, eject or erase), also there will be no more updates for Tape functions as the NAS-XSR family is EOL. We will be improving this with future releases of DSS.

To review the logs go to Status > Hardware > Logs then click on the Download button. Extract and review the backup_local_backup_xxx.log , schedule_backup_cron_conf , status/backup_local_backup_xxx.log.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube