Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSS 1.30 FC 4GB Target Mode

Default DSS 1.30 FC 4GB Target Mode

I have just upgraded to the latest version of DSS on one of our DSS servers as the readme says it supports the qlogic 4GB crads now in target mode.

I have managed to get the target mode working with a Qlogic 2462 Fibre Card (Dual port) but the performance is very very bad (30MB/s), compared to when we where using a Qlogic 2GB Card 2340 (single port) in target mode on version 1.21 of DSS and where getting a combined speed of 260MB/s.

I have tried different volumes with different blocksizes but this does not make any difference.

Help!!

Can you test with latest kernel in Console tools go to Boot Options > Select System Architecture > Single or Multi proc. (TESTING).

Also could you test with the 2GB with 1.30 to see if this performs the same as the 4GB, would be interesting to se if it is the driver or something else. Send the log file in so we can see what is happening (copy your speeds results).

Thanks again for this information.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi Todd,

1. I have tried the server in the testing mode as suggested, however in this mode I can not see the FC disks from my servers. However I noticed that in the setup fibre channel it only show one port where it did show two ports in normal mode as it is a dual port card I am testing. I tried a fibre cable in both ports but still could not see the FC disks from my servers.

2. Put the single port 2GB card back in the server, and the disks are available and the average read/write combined tests using iometer is 240MB/s

3. what logs would you like and where must i email them too

Regards

Gavin

Gavin - We just released a newer version of DSS yesterday build 2819. Please test. We have too many request and we just need more time to get to every ones needs. If this does not work send in the log file to support so we can verify this with you. Thanks!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

Tried the new release still no good with the 4GB card speeds still at 30MB/s. Also I have noticed that the FC Manager groups do not work have to add the disk to the default group to be able to view the disk.

Can you provide me an email address to send the logs too and which ones

Thanks

Gavin

Send the whole log file from the Download button then send them to support@open-e.com using the same description you gave me because there are many files within this log file.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default more issues

While I have been waiting for the updated release that will hopefully resolve my issues which is believed to be caused by an IRQ conflict in the driver, I have tried this version on a different server (Dell 1950) and this one boots ok with no errors or IRQ confilcts however when I change the fibre channel to be in target mode and restart the networking stops working on the DSS server.

Then I need to do a factory reset on the DSS server

Wanted to let you know pre-release is available for 1.32 for USB and Demo-CD. See if you can test this. Thanks for the update!

/In_Engineering_Phase/DSS_v_1_32_b_2839_rel_2007_09_12
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I have downloaded and tested the test version and it is working . The only problem is controlling to access to the FC LUNS by using the WWN Alias and FC groups does not work, we use this in Version 1.21 with 2GB FC support and it is really good for controlling acces to LUNS so hopefully this can be added back in prior to the release so we can implement it ASAP

Performance results:

Combined Read/Write speed using I/O meter of 590 mb/s this rocks

Gavin

I know you have to use the "Default Group". I have forward this onto engineering - thanks again for the status!!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"