Visit Open-E website

Thread: Can Open-e provide HA & DR solution?

Default Can Open-e provide HA & DR solution?

Hello,

We are planning to use SSR212CC boxes to implement the following configuration:
    Mirrored SAN (synch replication) at the local HA site.
    Replicated SAN (asynch replication) at a remote DR site.

1. Can Open-e provide all pieces of the above solution?
    2. Which pieces are missing?
    3. Which pieces are in the pipeline? ETA?
    4. Can the missing pieces be provided by 3rd party software?

We have Volume Replication (synch replication) for Source to Destination currently with manual failover; auto failover is expected in late 4th quarter of this year.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Any suggestions re. async replication?

Async replication is for the Data Replication "NAS" not with iSCSI. Currently we do not have async with iSCSI.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Async on Open-E

If you're running Linux or Windows you can use software RAID1 (aka mirroring) over IP (or iRAID) from the OS side. On Linux it's relatively painless and much better if you use LVM's mirroring over Linux MD. On the Windows side you have to be supremely careful about using Dynamic Disks over iSCSI, but there's some magic that makes it works so well I don't know how I'd do without.

Like upgrading the iSCSI volumes from 1.1 to 1.3 without any user downtime. Sigh...

For VMware ESX HA/DRS I think it will work with either NFS or iSCSI - though I've yet to test it. NFS is almost as fast and much easier to manage than iSCSI for ESX volumes, plus you have the added benefit of having Open-E back them up automatically. In tests with more than 15 VM's accessing the same NFS volume, NFS actually pulls ahead of iSCSI due to the locking behaviour of NFS versus iSCSI.

Within the functionality of Open-e, what is the recommended method of replicating data to a remote site? If there is none, are there any 3rd party (cost-effective) solutions available?

We have Data Replication (File Level) and Volume Replication (Block Level) functions within DSS. Volume Replication is manual failover, this year we plan to have Auto failover. We recommend using a dedicated NIC for Replication with VPN Tunnel or your own privet network connection with high speed lease line.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"