Visit Open-E website

Thread: iSCSI R3 Enterprise performance tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy iSCSI R3 Enterprise performance tuning

Hello,

i still have performance problems. Yesterday i updated to the current version and deleted the complete unit to made new iSCSI volumes. After this i copyed the vmdk files from my local VMFS back to the VMFS on the iSCSI Volume. A 6 GB file takes 11:15 minutes, this will be 9 MB/Sec.

If i remember right, the copy of the file in the other direction to a local single S-ATA drive was much faster. At this time the restore from tape is running so i think i got no useable value when i test it now. The backup to the LTO1 tape runs with 900MB/Min and now the restore only with 550MB/Min. (2 days remaining to restore all the data.)

At the performance chart on the esx host for the network card i used for the ESX iSCSI initaor i got never more than 30 MBps. The current value during restore is 10 MBps.

When i use IOMeter in a VM on a RAW mapped 2 TB iSCSI Volume i got for read and write a value of 35 MB/Sec.

What can i do to optimise the performance?

My enviroment:

Storage
    Supermicro PDSM4 Mainboard with a Pentium D 930 (3 GHz Dual Core) and 4 GB memory.
    3Ware 9550SXU 16 Ch. S-ATA II (with BBU in performance mode) with 6x Seagate 750 GB HDD's

2x ESX Host
    Supermicro X7DBE Mainboard with two Xeon E5320 (1,86 GHz Quad Core) and 6 GB memory.

For iSCSI communication i use direct cables from the two on board NIC's of the storage to each ESX host.

Best regards
    Stefan

Note:
    The Virtual Infrastructure Client seem to show the wrong value. There is a "0" missing.

The current Data Transmit Rate is shown as 12000 KBps, this will be 1,5 MB/s and can't be correct. This must be 120000 KBps corresponding to the value i read on the check_sys page on the Open-E.

Regards
    Stefan

Argh... The KBps are "KB per Second" and not "KBit per Second"!

But this doesn't change anything at my problem....

Can you test without the VM iscsi connection and just use direct with a MS initiator (MS XP or 2003) to see if it is the iSCSI-R3. Also check the tests.log in the log file from Status > Hardware > Download Logs then look for the hdparm -t /dev/sdx to see what speeds we are getting from the RAID set.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Now i canceled my restore to made some tests:

To copy a 8 GB file from a single 500 GB drive (connected to a MegaRaid SATA 150-6) to iSCSI it take 13 min and 23 sec. The other direction only 5 min. and 43 sec.

The other informations:

I made a new volume and mounted it from my Windows XP with the MS Initiator. With IOMeter i got the same values i got in the VM. 30-35 while reading and 30-40 during write... (32K 100% seq. read or write)

From the tests.log:

--- Physical volume ---
    PV Name /dev/sdb
    VG Name vg+3ware
    PV Size 3.41 TB / not usable 0
    Allocatable yes
    PE Size (KByte) 32768
    Total PE 111757
    Free PE 12
    Allocated PE 111745

hdparm -t /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1036 MB in 3.00 seconds = 345.31 MB/sec

This looks good. Is there a way to test only the network connection? (like with iperf)

Regards
    Stefan

It must be a local problem on my iSCSI box. Now i restarted the restore and during this i tested again with IOMeter from my Workstation. The value for read is now between 0 and 5 MB/s...

The workstation is connected to a Intel GigaBit Server Adapter which is placed in a PCI-X slot. The ESX Hosts are connected to the both on board Intel GigaBit NIC's.

Can i made some other tests? Where is the bottleneck?

Regards
    Stefan