Visit Open-E website

Thread: Disk size in Win2k3 R2 limited to 2 TB?

Default Disk size in Win2k3 R2 limited to 2 TB?

Hi,

We have an iSCSI R3 machine with a total capacity of about 6 TB. However, in the disk management console of Windows 2k3 R2 I never succeed of seeing more than 2 TB. I thought that Windows had large drive support, but whatever I try (basic, dynamic, GTP) the available space keeps at 2 TB. any suggestions?

All the best,

Koen

Microsoft site talks about this issue.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx

The maximum partition (and disk) size is a function of the operating system version. Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003 have a limit of 2TB per physical disk, including all partitions. For Windows Server 2003 SP1 Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw partition of 18 Exabyte’s can be supported. (Windows file systems currently are limited to 256 terabytes each.)

If you email me todd.maxwell@open-e.com I will send you a how to add Windows Dynamic Disk with our special script for activation of Dynamic Disks that you can try.

Please keep post to proper section, this is in NAS-R3 – should be in iSCSI-R3.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Koen
    Hi,

We have an iSCSI R3 machine with a total capacity of about 6 TB. However, in the disk management console of Windows 2k3 R2 I never succeed of seeing more than 2 TB. I thought that Windows had large drive support, but whatever I try (basic, dynamic, GTP) the available space keeps at 2 TB. any suggestions?

All the best,

Koen

Interesting , I tried w2k3 with GPT I can see my complete 2.7TB into one complete partition, did you initialize it with GPT into Windows disk manager? could you see 3 partition of 2048GB into your disk manager when you let it into standard disk mode? Wich version of ISCSI initiator are you using?

Thanks Keven!!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Are you using MPIO?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"