Visit Open-E website

Thread: Vmware ISCSI Software Initiator and Open-e

Default Vmware ISCSI Software Initiator and Open-e

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in others experince with Open-e and vmware. We are looking to use this alone with volume replication as part of our DR enviornment. We have a lab setup and seem to have things working. It took a little growing pain to get this to work mainly because lack of detailed information about the Vmware ISCSI initiator. Anyways, here are the steps I took to get things going.

I am interested in comments by others. Most importantly does anyone have this in place in production? By the way, I am not a Vmware expert.

I took Todd's advice and downloaded the CD version of DSS.

With ISCSI DSS:

1. I created a volume group, and an ISCSI volume.

2. I then created an ISCSI target and made this new volume available.

3. I tested the target with windows initiator and works like a charm.

now on to VMware....

With VMware: ESX Server 3.0.1

1. After a standard install of Vmware server Using the Vmware Infrastructure Client I Enabled ISCSI Software client in the security profile section of configuration.

2. I then added a Virtual Switch connecting a service console, vmkernel to a nic that is on the same network as the DDS box.

3. I then added a connection to the IP of DDS in Dynamic Discovery of iSCSI software adapter.

4. Its scans (took a little while) and finds the target I created. (once I had to rescan after applying changes to have it see the target)

5. I then added the target to my vmware storage and I am able to assign a virtual disk to that storage volume

Everything seems to be working fine running for weeks now without a hiccup.

Note: Step 2 is important. You need to make sure both a Vmkernel and Service Console connection to the same network as your DSS box. I initially thought you only needed a vmkernel connection. However that did not work.

I hope this helps anyone in my situation.

Thank you for your time and effort. This is so valuable for other engineers needing this information. Keep them coming!!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

hi , but most of the customers wanted to seperate the service port and the vmkernel port, thus what you suggest to do?

You can add a separate service console port so you end up with two. Then you can connect to the VM Host from either network with the Client.