Visit Open-E website

Thread: stop snapshot generate MSiSCSI error

Default stop snapshot generate MSiSCSI error

When I'm stopping snapshot (on iSCSI-R3 Enterprise 2.30 build 2820) software MSiSCSI 2.05 (on W2K3srv, WXP) generate error:

iScsiPrt event ID: 20
    Connection to the target was lost. The initiator will attempt to retry the connection.

Volume as target only connected to iSCSI-R3, snatpshot not connected.
    How can I eliminate this problem?

The error is:

ScsiPrt event ID: 20
    Connection to the target was lost. The initiator will attempt to retry the connection.

I tested this with MS Initialization 2.05 as well and did not receive this error message. Are there any errors on the iSCSI-R3 server? I tested with removing the Snapshot from the iSCSI-R3 Target Manager and tested with turning off Snapshot Task. Event ID 20 from M$ below.

Event ID 20
    Connection to the target was lost. The initiator will attempt to retry the connection
    This event is logged when the initiator loses connection to the target when the connection was in iSCSI Full Feature Phase. This event typically happens when there are network problems, network cable is removed, network switch is shutdown, or target resets the connection. In all cases initiator will attempt to reestablish the TCP connection.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

No errors on ISCSI reported. Errors reported in Windows log.
    Problem does like as iSCSI-R3 reset all connections when snapshot stopping. It is possible, that you have different settings in iSCSI initiator. Did you change default values in iSCSI initiator? I have in Sessions connections - Load Balance Policy - value: Round robin.

Thanks Kopr

I just used all defaults from the initiator and the target.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

i got the same thing as tom - iscsi 2.05 as well.

created 500gb volume, mapped, formatted and put some files.
    created 250gb snapvol, associated it with the 500gb vol.
    delete the 250gb snapvol and i get same error(below).

also noticed this:
    create 500gb volume, map
    create 250gb snapvol, associate with 500gb volume.
    try to format the 500gb volume and fail - same event(below)
    delete the 250gb snapshot volume
    try to format the 500gb volume and it works!
    now i can create the snapvol and associate it without error.

----
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: iScsiPrt
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20

Description:
    ----

strange eh?

Tested again and no error. Here is what I did.

Create:

200GB Target (Write Back enabled)
    20GB Snapshot (defaults) Set my Snapshot schedule to run at xyz - no end time (also manually)

Copied data on the target
    Then Snapshot kicked off (verified data on the snapshot - good)

Then stopped the task - no error 21 only error 57 (I was sending data and tested again with stopping the task).
    Error57:
    "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

Then Deleted the Snapshot (in ms disk mgr.)- then stopped task then re-enable the Snapshot again then Deleted the Target as well (just to push it) . No Error .

Also tested with Deleted the Target while Snapshot was scheduled and still no errors.

I only tested with XP. I can provide a web demonstration showing this if anyone is interested.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"