Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad performance with BlockIO

Hello,

one question:

Today i have the time to test the DSS. What happens with my data? Can i use the DSS and then the iSCSI Enterprise again without loosing data?

Greetings
    Stefan

If using the DSS with iSCSI-R3 Enterprise then yes.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

O.K.

I used the DSS Demo CD and the performance is the same. Sequential read with one worker is fast and with two workers the value goes down after a few seconds.

Best regards
    Stefan

I have asked engineers to review this issue - they may need logs from the DSS using your ticket # from last communications.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

FYI: Engineers have confirmed that fileIO can by much faster in random access.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

OK, so in my Enviroment there is in the current version FileIO the better choice.

Will there be changes in the future that more cache will be used in BlockIO? (When i'm right that the cachig in FileIO results the more performance in random IO.)

Best regards

Stefan

Our Research department will review this but they will need to time to schedule testing.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

did you hear something?

Regards
    Stefan

This is going to take time for them to work on this as there are many projects in front that they have to complete first. Nothing I can do now.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,

today I did update our iSCSI R3 Enterprise from 2.21 to 5.0 and did create new RAID and a volume with Block I/O. We use the iSCSI storage for our VMWare ESX 3.5 server virtual maschines. Inside a virtual maschine I use IOMeter to measure the disk performance and it was very weak. I was playing with the tuning options (InitialR2t = no, ImmediateData = yes) without performance boost. Now I deleted the Block I/O volume und made a new File I/O volume and get acceptable performance after playing with the tuning options.

With Block I/O I get 22 MB/s read and 5 MB/s write and with File I/O I get 57 MB/s read and 48 MB/s write (IOMeter is set to 100% sequential, 64k, 100% read or 100%write).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Marcus