Visit Open-E website

Thread: PV resize not working

Angry PV resize not working

Hi,
    I'm running NAS XSR Enterprise 3.11.2522

After expanding a RAID6 set on a Areca RAID controller I wanted to add the additional space to my existing volume in open-e. Diskmanager shows the new space however not as free. Following advice from this forum, I used the extended console tools, function "PV Resize"

I made sure that no clients are connected.

However, PV resize does not work. After pressing enter, I get the message "Unable to resize PV".

When selecting the PV resize menu option, in the lower left corner of the screen the message "File descriptor 3 left open" briefly flashes.

Has anyone an idea how to proceed?

Regards,
    Manuel Koch

Did the RAID 6 complete the migration of the expansion before using the PV resize? Also try rebooting the system after the migration of the RAID is completed then use thePV resize again.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Yes, the migration and the volume expansion of the RAID system is complete.
    I rebooted 3 times after that, before I even found out about the PV resize step...

So the problem has to be somewhere else.

try Rescan button in Volume Manager. Are there any errors showing in the GUI?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

In the GUI, the correct new size is shown (Directly under 'Function: Unit Manager' Unit S0 9778.88 in use, vg0 ).
    Rescan does not change that. Selecting vg0 in the tree on the left shows the old size for lv00, but NO free space.

Manuel

I downloaded an checked the logfiles;
    The message "Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table" comes up in several places, even though the system works fine and all data is accessible.

As only open-e was used to format/partition/resize the disks, I do not see how this could have hapened.

I will contact phone/remote support on Monday.

Regards,
    Manuel

I have seen this error before, usually means the RAID is complaining about errors releted to hardware even though units are visable to the system. This is problably why you are having a hard time getting the new capacity to present itself properly. Start the remote support so monday we can check. Send the logs as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"