Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VSS provider in DSS?

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 46030 times.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your response, I'm actually using DSSv6. Is development in the same position for that product?

I'm sure with last weeks release to manufacturing of Microsoft DPM 2010, which allows for backups of virtual machines running on a CSV but requires hardware to have a VSS provider, this will soon become a highly requested feature for people who are running server 2008R2 clusters.

Many thanks,
    Jonathon

Hey Jon - Yes it would be in this version of DSS V6 - I have forward this to our engineers to inform them of this as I believe you are correct that we would need to look into this. Now we need time and resources but I think there is some good prospects out of it. thanks!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the update.

Guess I'll just keep checking back for now

Many thanks,
    Jonathon

Hi Todd,

We are also using DPM 2010 which works best with a VSS hardware provider! It is possible to use a workaround but this slows backups down a lot!

To use DSS with Hyper-V and DPM a VSS hardware provider will be a required option. Today we would not have bought DSS if it did not have a VSS hardware provider!

Also - is it still nessesary to reboot the DSS after deleting Volume groups or adding extra discs to a raid group? This should be done ONLINE!

What are the roadmaps for changing this functionality?

Thanks,
    Martin

We need more time with the Hyper-V and cant give you a set date as this year many things where switched around for the most popular requests for replications and yes you still have to reboot when you are deleting a volume and PV Resize for the disks, I hope that we can have this reboot worked on by end of this year as long as some huge order comes in to shift the schedule for the tasks and have reschedule the project again.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by melm
    Hi Todd,

We are also using DPM 2010 which works best with a VSS hardware provider! It is possible to use a workaround but this slows backups down a lot!

To use DSS with Hyper-V and DPM a VSS hardware provider will be a required option. Today we would not have bought DSS if it did not have a VSS hardware provider!

Also - is it still nessesary to reboot the DSS after deleting Volume groups or adding extra discs to a raid group? This should be done ONLINE!

What are the roadmaps for changing this functionality?

Thanks,
    Martin
    Melm - Are you talking about VSS hardware provider on NAS or iSCSI level ?
    In case of NAS it should be done by the end of the year and for the volume groups we might have this at the end of the year.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

For me I'd like it for iSCSI Volume groups. At the moment my Clustered storage has to switch to redirected access for cluster backup. This means bakups take around 6-8hours and Virtual machine performance is very poor during this time.

Cheers,
    Jon

Default Vss Provider

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Melm - Are you talking about VSS hardware provider on NAS or iSCSI level ?
    In case of NAS it should be done by the end of the year and for the volume groups we might have this at the end of the year.
    Any news about VSS Provider? Is now available?

We are planning to have this by end of this year for NAS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Add another user looking for VSS provider to use in conjunction with Hyper-V/CSV/iSCSI. Also, if one does not exist, VSS provider for SQL clustered volumes is highly desirable. Hyper-V VSS is a deal breaker for me using this product. Without it, backups take too long (can't serialize) and impact performance too much (Cant prioritze).

~joe