Visit Open-E website

Thread: Dss Nas + Iscsi

Default Dss Nas + Iscsi

does this server has the possible
    file wich copy on a iscsi to see on smb\nfs\ftp ?

DSS provides NAS and iSCSI functionality at the same time so you can create a NAS Logical Volume to share files with AFP/FTP/HTTP/CIFS&SMB and NFS. iSCSI is block base providing in like manner of a locally-attached disks.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    DSS provides NAS and iSCSI functionality at the same time so you can create a NAS Logical Volume to share files with AFP/FTP/HTTP/CIFS&SMB and NFS. iSCSI is block base providing in like manner of a locally-attached disks.
    big thanks

PDV and Tom,

You have misunderstood each other...

PDV was aksing if you could transfer a file via iSCSI and then see it via NFS/FTP/CIFS, *simultaneously*.

The answer should be: No; Open-E does not allow for an iSCSI LUN to simultanously be an NFS/FTP/CIFS share.

You can have another host provide the NFS/FTP/CIFS functionality based on data stored on an Open-E iSCSI LUN.

Hi Tom, PDV and Sean,
    I believe Tom understand correctly, because I understand it the same way, and PDV agrees on what TOM said.
    iSCSI is block mode and NAS is a file base so there is a big difference between them. And to see iSCSI file, we can make it as a share files.

Sean - I did not answer this ""as this could be"" - only that they are different and the answer was correct in that they are different. Not sure if we are playing with interpretation details from your end or something else.... This is the second time you have done this - no more 3rd time .

Anyway moving forward....... just incase you need additional clarification, NAS is file base and iSCSI is block base (so a big difference). If he has an iSCSI volume he could setup a share for others within his system to use FTP/SMB/HTTP.... as many do currently with iSCSI. Clearly in our GUI we do not provide both NAS and iSCSI functions in the same logical volume only for separate logical volumes.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Tom,

I apologize if this was my second "strike".

I felt that PDV had asked: "Can Open-E have a iSCSI (SAN) volume that is also shared out as smb\nfs\ftp (NAS)?" ("... possible file wich copy on a iscsi to see on smb\nfs\ftp ?")

So, I was not trying to say that your answer was incorrect, but that there was an aspect of the original question that you had not covered (i.e. "No, Open-E does not allow a SAN volume to also be a NAS volume. You can, however, you an other host to provide NAS...").

Sean

But from SuperSAN and PDV they seem to have understood. There are 3 that understood and 1 did not, so interpretation can never be perfect. We try to be 100% all the time but that will take time and think you can agree to that. Ok enough... Time to move on..
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

thank a lot!!!

I think hes asking about what netapps calls 'qtree'.