Visit Open-E website

Thread: Best practice to support both Windows and Linux clients

Question Best practice to support both Windows and Linux clients

Hello,

I have downloaded a Test-CD installation for NAS-R3 and the main thing I am interested in is how to support file-sharing for both Windows and Linux clients at the same time.

I have seen that when I create new files or folders from Linux in a share where I have set permission via Windows, the permissions are being replicated through so this looks good.

But I have a problem with German special characters (Umlauts) in Linux. I can create files and folders with Umlauts from Windows and Linux but when I via these from Linux or Windows the Umlauts are displayed incorrectly, making the file- or foldername unreadable. The share are mounted in Linux via mount -t smbfs.

I already tried to use different codepages and iocharset settings in the mount command but to no avail. We are a german company so without solving this issue we unfortunately won't be able to use open-e.

Do you know if there is a way to solve this and if yes how it could be done?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.

The Kirschi

Use UTF-8 LOCALE in Linux (most new linux's use those).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the quick answer, Todd. But I already have set all locale to UTF-8. Still does not work. Sorry.

Send the log file to support so we can check. Go in GUI and select Status > Hardware > Log > click on the Download button and send them to support@open-e.com so our engineers can review them.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Try to create file/directory after the change to UTF-8 locales on linux host. The old files need to be converted - only new should work.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"