Visit Open-E website

Thread: Secure Rsync?

Question Secure Rsync?

Hello, I was just wondering whether it is planned to offer an option in the file-based backup/replication (aka rsync) GUI to encrypt the traffic, perhaps via an SSH tunnel? This would make replication over the internet much simpler since a VPN tunnel would not be required for encryption.

Sorry to say we don't have ssh tunnel in our roadmap, only VPN is scheduled for DSS for future releases. Maybe this subject will be reviewed later in 08' if more users are requesting this feature.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

A VPN client would be good, also. Just wondering, would this VPN feature still require an external VPN router, or would this VPN somehow work just between two open-e boxes with no VPN routers in between? I hope it's the latter.

We are looking into the latter but this will take time so nothing in the short term and there is no set date.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

That's excellent. Good to hear. Right now, we use two netgear vpn routers between our two replicating boxes, and they cost $100 a piece (besides being limited to only about 2.1 megabits throughput in 3DES-encryption mode).

Just remember no set time frame. $100 are they on a UPS LOL
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,

remote access via ssh or something similar (for instance talking to an API with SOAP, XML, ...) is very, very import in any scenario while working with iSCSI and/or FC LUNs AND using storage snapshot and replication capabilities.

We need that remote access for synchronising VMware Snapshots or Application states against the block i/o luns.

Erich Popp

Open-E uses some sort of implementation of IPSEC for security for iSCSi and other things. I have not used it, yet. I am thinking of trying to use it instead of the troublesome VPN we are using now.