Visit Open-E website

Thread: Losing Network Connectivity

Default Losing Network Connectivity

I recently upgraded from 1.20 to 1.37 before beginning to create logical volumes in order to use. I've created one NAS volume, with shares (some containing data), and one iSCSI (also containing data). At unspecific times, I lose network connectivity with the DSS. PING from a workstation no longer responds and I loose access to shares and iSCSI partitions. I've checked the DSS at console and on one occasion it *may* have been frozen but on other occasions it has responded to the keyboard fine. I can press keys such as C-A-N and F1. I think that on one occasion networking returned, and on another two I rebooted the DSS to regain networking.

I tried reloading with 1.20 but realised most of my volume and share configuration was missing. Reloaded back with 1.37 and both the iSCSI target I had created was no longer there, although the iSCSI volume was. Also all my NAS shares, apart from one, were gone too. Obviously I cannot access the data either (fortunately it's duplicated elsewhere).

I have downloaded two sets of logs after the network freezing problems. I am bemused by what has occurred in my second paragraph and am wondering if I have missed something important. Does changing versions really cause volume/data loss?

Thanks.

It seems so, that the Build 2922 stores the configuration in a other way than the Build 2956. I updated yesterday and after the update all my NAS configurations are gone. The rights on the filesystem are still there, so i created the same users and groups again. (In the order i created it the first time, so they got the same ID's.)

Some other configs where gone too, but no data where lost here...

After rolling back to the previous systems all configs are back again and when i update again the same settings i made after the first update are back too.

I'm still having terrible trouble with DSS 1.37, whether I am using the live or the test kernel. If network usage gets intensive (e.g. copying large files from an iSCSI partition to a NAS partition), network connectivity dies and I have to go to the local console and reboot the DSS machine. It's died so many times it's useless to me.

I've been talking to technical support and was advised to try the test kernel because "sky2" was dying. That didn't help. When I tried to update to 5.0 by uploading the ISO even that kills the DSS. I cannot do the update when using the test kernel either. It simply fails.

I am awaiting on email responses to my logs, and know technical support are looking at the issue. Is nobody else getting this problem?

I have a several problems too. I got only the error message that the device is not available. But when i try again it works. The error i got during copy or delete...

Is some interested to buy a dss box?

Best regards
    Stefan

I burned "n20071206s.142_b2988.dss-bas.generic.iso" to CD-ROM and booted off it, after connecting a CD-ROM drive. This allowed me to perform the update successfully. I am now running version 5.0.DB42000000.2988. I performed some intensive network and disk activity from multiple clients. Touch wood it's not crashed yet. If it does, I will post here again.

Thanks for the update Open-E.

Please keep in mind this is not an official release yet and is only given under certain circumstances. Thanks for the update David.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube