Visit Open-E website

Thread: Bad performance with large files on NAS

Question Bad performance with large files on NAS

Hello,

currently i'm restoring data to a Windows NAS share, but the performance with large files is very bad...

When restoring 200 GB of files with a size of a few MB i got a restore speed of 900 MB/Min in ARCserve.

When restoring some large files with a size of 20-30 GB the restore speed goes down to 250 MB/Min.

This bad performance i got too, when copying a single file from a local windows host the the nas. A 26GB file takes more than one hour, in the Windows Task-Manager the network is at 6%.

Why is there a so big difference between many small files and one big file?

I tryed to restore the files with the built in BrightStor Backup Agent, but this seems not to work. Last thursday evenig i mailed already the support, because i can't made a backup. I hope they can tell me monday how i get this work.

Is there something i can optimize to get a better performance with large files?

I think this can't be a problem with the write speed of the disks, because many small files are written down with a higher speed.

Best regards
    Stefan

Have the same experience.

Just finished setting up the NAS and begin to transfer huge amounts of 2 GB Encase-files to the NAS.

The transfer itself has an ok speed of 40 sek per file, but here is 60 second between each file when nothing happens

Why this 60 seconds.

- Supermicro NAS server, Open-e DSS 16TB
    - Raidset 1=6*1TB raid 5
    - Raidset 2=3*250GB raid 0 ( just in migrating modus)
    - Areca 1160ML raid-controller
    - MS Windows XP pro 64 bit client
    - cat5E Twisted pair cable, 1 Gb ( no bonding )

Kurt H Hanssen
    Norway