Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSS as a Windows NAS

Angry

We are having the same problem with the posix > windows limitations
    It pretty much makes our DSS server useless for NAS SMB mounts
    There are some shares that i want to publish using NAS and iscsi is not an option becuase we seperate iscsi traffic on a seperate switch the servers attached to iscsi are not an option for me to do file shares. Also we use iscsi for high throughput applications only.
    For simple file shares ie word/excel docs i cant use the NAS function because the permissions just dont suit a windows environment.
    Also why should i have to populate all my shares through iscsi for windows permissions to work when i bought a all in one solution that should let me use all the functions.

according to the feature list of DSS V6

Windows Active Directory / Primary Domain Controller Support

Open-E DSS V6 supports Windows Active Directory (AD), Primary Domain Controller (PDC), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) and AD & NIS User-/Group ID synchronization to leverage information about users, groups, systems and other resources stored in the Active Directory. The support of Access Control List (ACL) ensures that access rights of users are automatically taken over from the Domain.

Supported Network Clients and Network File Protocol

Open-E DSS V6 supports the file based protocols CIFS (Common Internet File System)/SMB, NFS (Network File System), FTP (File Transfer Protocol), FTPS and Apple Talk enabling Windows, Linux, Unix and Macintosh clients to share data on the same server.

Our limited experience with DSS as NAS in a Windows environment with a large AD has followed a similar path - struggled with it for a while then gave in & used Windows server/s as the NAS. The posix rights was sort of ok (just), but system hardware instability meant the link between user accounts & directory rights got confused more than once, & meant some stressful work to correct! There is now the ability to back & restore this mapping, and quotas too, but I'm not that confident. In simpler situations (simpler rights) I think the NAS function is just fine.

Default ACL form

I'm working in a university which has an Active Directory with 12'000 entries. The ACL (Access control list) form shows all users and groups in a 20 lines window with only up and down arrows to find and select entries among the 12’000 entries. It’s really like looking for a needle in a haystack! This form could greatly be improved by providing a search tool.

Permissions given to a folder using ACL are propagated from the OpenE server to Windows. If you change permissions to a folder on the Windows computer which is using the share, the change is not propagated back to the OpenE server (or taken into account by it) and it is like if nothing was done.

Another weird thing with this interface is that you are automatically propagated to the root of the filesystem each time you apply a new permission to a folder bellow. You have then to go down the filesystem to make another change. Imagine doing this for more than 10 users!

Quote Originally Posted by derochat
    I'm working in a university which has an Active Directory with 12'000 entries. The ACL (Access control list) form shows all users and groups in a 20 lines window with only up and down arrows to find and select entries among the 12’000 entries. It’s really like looking for a needle in a haystack! This form could greatly be improved by providing a search tool.
    We are aware of the issue this presents with a lot of users, and are working on something in the area for a future release.

Permissions given to a folder using ACL are propagated from the OpenE server to Windows. If you change permissions to a folder on the Windows computer which is using the share, the change is not propagated back to the OpenE server (or taken into account by it) and it is like if nothing was done.
    DSS is a linux based OS, so it will not operate as if it is a windows controller. To get the behavior you are describing, use a connection to the PDC, or ADS.

Another weird thing with this interface is that you are automatically propagated to the root of the filesystem each time you apply a new permission to a folder bellow. You have then to go down the filesystem to make another change. Imagine doing this for more than 10 users!
    Again, this can be managed if using PDC, or ADS. You can also try changed the inherit permissions options.

hope this helps.

Unable to get the back-up and recovery...not even my friend can solve this!!