We are having the same problem with the posix > windows limitations
It pretty much makes our DSS server useless for NAS SMB mounts
There are some shares that i want to publish using NAS and iscsi is not an option becuase we seperate iscsi traffic on a seperate switch the servers attached to iscsi are not an option for me to do file shares. Also we use iscsi for high throughput applications only.
For simple file shares ie word/excel docs i cant use the NAS function because the permissions just dont suit a windows environment.
Also why should i have to populate all my shares through iscsi for windows permissions to work when i bought a all in one solution that should let me use all the functions.

according to the feature list of DSS V6

Windows Active Directory / Primary Domain Controller Support

Open-E DSS V6 supports Windows Active Directory (AD), Primary Domain Controller (PDC), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) and AD & NIS User-/Group ID synchronization to leverage information about users, groups, systems and other resources stored in the Active Directory. The support of Access Control List (ACL) ensures that access rights of users are automatically taken over from the Domain.

Supported Network Clients and Network File Protocol

Open-E DSS V6 supports the file based protocols CIFS (Common Internet File System)/SMB, NFS (Network File System), FTP (File Transfer Protocol), FTPS and Apple Talk enabling Windows, Linux, Unix and Macintosh clients to share data on the same server.