Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSS as a Windows NAS

Default DSS as a Windows NAS

I have been playing with Open-E as a NAS but we run a Windows Enviroment and I can't get the file/folder security premissions to work for me. When I try to set only modify or write access to a file or folder it defaults to Full Control, it looks like I can set Read or Full control but not really anything in the middle. Is this a limitation of SAMBA or how Open-E is using SAMBA?

Try setting the security permissions on the share from the Windows server (login as with admin rights) also check the ACL settings in the NAS Resources.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I've had no luck on this either. Good luck, please post your fix if it works right.

Yeah at this time we present an iSCSI lun to our windows file server and use the NAS part of DSS as a Disk based backup location.
    No matter what I have tried I can not get the ACLS to work correctly with windows.

it is samba limitation; there are only 3 known rights ... read / write / execute based on user|group|others-everyone.

; in order to utilize all the 13 NTFS permissions; either mount an iSCSI LUN to the server so that it is formatted to NTFS block device or share from a Windows server and define the ACL from the server and then mapped users to the folders.

Good luck.

Thank you that is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by cre8tif
    it is samba limitation; there are only 3 known rights ... read / write / execute based on user|group|others-everyone.

; in order to utilize all the 13 NTFS permissions; either mount an iSCSI LUN to the server so that it is formatted to NTFS block device or share from a Windows server and define the ACL from the server and then mapped users to the folders.

Good luck.
    we´ve got now our DSS and I´m playing with it and testing it.
    the iSCSI function works perfect and now I´m on the NAS side and have the same problems with the permissons.

what do you mean with "share from a Windows server"?
    how could I share the NAS voulume from windows?

ok; sorry for the short clarification.

1. NAS with PDC/AD will still only support the RWX - Read Write Execute permission - POSIX limitation. There is no workaround this Samba POSIX limitation.

2. If u really need 2 use the NTFS permission; create an iSCSI target and mount it to your Windows Server 2000/2003 thru an iSCSI initiator.

3. Create a share folder with share permission of read and change for users.

4. Thereafter, define NTFS permission for sub-folders by choosing to inherit or not to inherit them from the top-level folders.

5. If you are planning on migrating from an NTFS drive on your Windows server to the iSCSI volume; download the Microsoft Resource Kit for Windows Server.

6. Use the ROBOCOPY.exe to effectively copy all the permission from local source folder into the iSCSI volume. This will not copy share permission; only NTFS permissions.

7. All you need to do after verifying the copy process is to compare the file/folder size/numbers.

8. Recreate some of the share permissions which should be a piece of cake by copying the former.

9. Unshare the source folder and recreate the same name; after that tell users they are ready to access the files on the larger NTFS volumes on Server 2003

Linux has had native NTFS support for a while now. Try using openSUSE as an NFS head and share your NTFS filesystem with NFS.

I have not tried this as of yet, but it should work.

-Errol

While I'm on this point, I like the idea of using a NFS head versus DSS. The reason is because you can have incredible redundancy via Heartbeat2, DRBD and multipathd.

Two SLES10 SP1 servers with the latest fuse and ntfsprogs from opensuse.org. Heartbeat2 and NFS backed by Open-E. What more can you ask for?!