Visit Open-E website

Thread: Fastest way to copy data to the NAS?

Question Fastest way to copy data to the NAS?

Hello,

what is the fastest way to copy data to the NAS from an external source?

Our company bought the Open-E NAS-R3 Enterprise version for a new 24TB RAID, now I have the problem to copy around 10TB of data to the new NAS. The Open-E NAS and the external source (a system with RHEL and an attached RAID via FiberChannel) are connected via Gigabit (bounded).

What is now the fastest way to copy the data (with all permissions and UID/GUID intact) from the old RHEL system to the new Open-E NAS system? I thought maybe rsync would okay but how can I use rsync with Open-E NAS? Is it only possible to mount (NFS) the share from Open-E NAS and then copy via rsync the data to Open-E NAS? Or can I connect directly via rsync to the Open-E NAS system?

Best Regards,

GM

You can use our NAS-R3 as a destination server for the rsync process. Enable the Data Replication Agent in WebGUI -> configuration -> NAS settings and also for share(s) that you want to have as destination in NAS Resource. Then set username and password if desired.

Rsync command used to synchronize from your operating system to Open-E server can look similar to this:

cd $SOURCE_DIR
    export RSYNC_PASSWORD=${PASSWORD}
    rsync -raRx --acls --xattrs --whole-file --delete --force "./"
    "$LOGIN@$RSYNC_DEST_IP::$DEST_SHARE"

While using rsync without password please unset RSYNC_PASSWORD variable.

Recomend using a separate NIC for the rsync transfer.

You will need to export your UID and GID from your system then import them to the NAS-R3

For example in UID case - go to NAS resources -> Users -> Function: UID mappings (upload/download).

To upload UID:

* Find configuration file uid_mappings.csv (format:user_name;uid) by clicking "Browse" buuton. This file should be in UTF-8 encoding,
    * Press "upload" button to import uid mappings,
    * If there will be some errors while importing uids please read uid_mappings_import.log file logs package.

Also you have entered in your question to support please let them know that you have received this so not to double efforts.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Works prefect.

Thank you for the answer.

I mean perfect :-)