Visit Open-E website

Thread: How long does it take to format a new VG?

Default How long does it take to format a new VG?

Hi from Cologne,

and thanks for releasing a free and non-crippled version of your software!

We are evaluating DSS-Lite on a dedicated machine (3ware Inc 9650SE SATA-II RAID, 4x500GB, RAID5).

So far, everything worked fine, but creating an initial volume group seems to take ages. Configuration->Volume Manager->Unit Manager has been showing status "Formatting" now for more than 2 hrs for just one 1396.95GB (the whole raid) VG container.

This kind of makes me wonder, taking into account that creating such a VG using standalone Debian Etch merely took some minutes on the same machine, including the LV creation and mkfs'ing the volume.

Is there something going wrong here or will it make sense to wait even longer?

Cheers & best regards
    Chris

I think something is going wrong in your system. On my 500GB disk it takes seconds

Thumbs up

Hi & thanks for your answer.

Problem solved. I took down the system, reinitialized the RAID5 set via 3ware BIOS tool, restarted into DSS Lite and now it took about one minute or so to create the VG.

Hooray! And now on to the serious testing, looking forward

Cheers
    Chris

i can confirm this... on licensed DSS 4TB
    adding the volume group after building a fresh RAID6 (3,5TB) lasts more than 12 hours.
    then i reboot open-e and did the same procedure again - finish in less then 1 min.

Hi theo91

I do not know what happened the first time, but when adding a new volume group it should take a few minutes to format.