Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving DSS LITE to another system after January 31st

I just have to jump in here and place my thoughts for those of you like pommes (new to the storage world) who want everything for nothing!
    I have been doing SANs for a long time now and I am just going to place my 2 cents here for those of you who have issues with a free product regardless if it is DSS lite!
    First if you’re going to evaluate anything test it first. Then think it through and use your left and right brain here people, I can’t understand the difficulty here.
    Our facility always keep exact spare parts for soooo many reasons. Now for those of you who are new in this industry this is standard in many military installations and government projects. Also many of the competitors that are proprietary in the SAN market do the same (go and ask and do your research NetApp, EqualLogic LeftHand…you get the idea).

I am thinking that some of you just want free everything, maybe they should give away free hardware as well but then you would complain that they are not good enough, or to slow or that they don’t consistently provide latest.

Go and get the DSS 4TB version, won’t cost much and as To-m has told everyone if you need help on activating again after the 31st they will help you. Or just get the same hardware for replacement parts like we do, it really is not that expensive (if you value your data) and we do this in our facility to service our customers and the equipment we sell starts $15,000+++ and good luck if you change out too different hw – you might just be surprised at the response.

Also I did a google search to find free NAS+iSCSI+FC with a GUI front end and did not come up with anything that is like this with a USB and no need to have another OS like Windstar. I will keep looking though.

Thanks Open-e guys for providing DSS lite!!!

We should all help Pommes get DSS 4TB to help him as he does not want to get spare parts.

Man a lot of us are happy with this.. and TO-M offers to help whoever needs help.. So lets everybody deal with his own case

Quote Originally Posted by Pommes
    Thanx a lot for clarifying this.
    Summary: I will be able to reactivate a DSS Lite version (which becomes deactiveted due to HW changes) even AFTER 31st Jan given that it was first activated BEFORE 31st Jan. Correct?

There were quite a few statements which pointed in another direction:

a) Individuals will be able to download, install, register and activate the DSS LITE software UNTIL January 31st of January 2008.
    b) We will decide AFTER January 31st if we will allow for certain conditions to re-activate
    c) ...

Best Regards

Man, I will contribute 20 euros to Pommes so we all can make him happy, but then it might not be enough for him LOL.

He must be new in the storage industry.

Quote Originally Posted by masim
    We should all help Pommes get DSS 4TB to help him as he does not want to get spare parts.

Man a lot of us are happy with this.. and TO-M offers to help whoever needs help.. So lets everybody deal with his own case

This has nothing to do with spare parts. Actually i have tons of spare parts, that was one of the reasons of looking into this offer.

But if an activated product might become unusable without an option to reactivate it it is not a free offer - it is a trap.

Furtunately open-e made a very strong statement that this was not the intention and that their offer is indeed a very valuable one.

The (by far) number one annoying thing with it stuff (hardware and especially software) is ACTIVATION. It is always very cumbersome.

e.g. direct internet connection, no proxy requirements (for a sensitive storage appliance???)

If you trust your customers, they will put trust in you...

I will make this very clear, any more postings concerning that we have a "PR" agenda or a "trap" will be removed from the forum. We do not have time to play PR games or traps as we are extremely busy and do not have the time to entertain this rhetoric. You have misjudge the hard work and intentions that went into DSS LITE.

We wanted to provide everyone the opportunity for all to have DSS LITE and we had no idea of the success, the activation is not a trap or PR stunt.

Any unproductive postings will be removed. If you have issues with this and our the conditions feel free to email me.

For the record activation will be allowed after January 31st.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M

For the record activation will be allowed after January 31st.
    You do mean 'will'? You didn't miss the word 'not'? That will be great news.
    So I can use the file downloaded earlier, and install later? If yes, this is indeed great news. The product itself has been always great. We have been using iSCSI Enterprise since last year.

If you have registered before the 31st you will be able to reactivate after the 31st.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube