Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving DSS LITE to another system after January 31st

Default Moving DSS LITE to another system after January 31st

Additional notes about DSS LITE User activation and registration!!

Please keep in mind that the registration is keyed to your system.

So if you plan on using the DSS LITE on another system after January 31st this will not work. The activation that you have registered is tied to the original system. So keep this in mind and think of spare parts for the future .

Professional version of DSS (4TB, 8TB and 16TB) does not apply to this. Professional version of DSS can be easily interchanged with many systems without activation.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M

... The activation that you have registered is tied to the original system. So keep this in mind and think of spare parts for the future .
    So what parts are allowed to be changed? Different NICs? Bigger HDDs? Faster CPU?

License key is related to the hardware list, this can be accessed in the Console tools in "Hardware info" (ALT+CTRL+H), only exception is recreation of the Units, Soft Raids and Tape devices. Though in some cases if in the event there is a hardware issue an you need to reactive because of needed replacement then this can be arranged .
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Please keep in mind that the registration is keyed to your system.

So if you plan on using the DSS LITE on another system after January 31st this will not work. The activation that you have registered is tied to the original system. So keep this in mind and think of spare parts for the future .
    Very strange..

On Jan 15th you answered my question about changing the system in another thread with

Yes you can boot with an activated DSS LITE USB stick onto a different system.
    Which is quite the opposite of your above statement. :-(

As many users showed concern about the activation process (which effectivly rules out any real production use), we are slowly told the truth.

It is a demo, nothing less but nothing more...

Regards,
    Georg

Default Moving DSS LITE to another system after January 31st / VMWare

Hi,

i installed the DSS Liste on USB Stick last days.

After reading all the problems with moving to a new hardware i tried with moving to VMWare Server.

After Moving the DSS Liste from USB Stick to VMWare HDD Image i needed to activate againg, this was no Problem at all, now (still january).

I will test again after 31 January. But if this is not possible with the same S/N DSSLite will be a NOGO.

Maybe open-e Support can give a statement if in case of

a. First Activation is only possible till 31 January (no S/N at all)
    b. Reactivation after January will be possible after changing hardware parts and using the same usb stick and S/N

This would give all the users with a valid S/N received in January to change hardware in case of HW Failure.

kind regards

Jürgen

Sorry,

booting from hdd vmware didn´t worked. DSS Lite was still booting from USB.

Thanks Open-e for offering this nice software. It give me what I am looking for… It is GREAT

It’s a good idea to keep some hardware parts.. at the end of the day the cost of this H/W units will be inexpensive compared to the value of the data.
    I don’t know why people complain about the activation thing after the 31st. Its free and come with some support.. what else we want???!?!?!?!

Now, I am looking to buy the 4TB version to put it in production, and if it works fine, we are going to buy your 16TB version

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masim
    I don’t know why people complain about the activation thing after the 31st. Its free and come with some support.. what else we want???!?!?!?!
    There is NO activation after the 31st. If you have it in production and for some (and according to my testing - there are a lot) reasons it needs activation again, you rely an open-e to activate your copy. But you cannot be sure this will happen. You have been told that this will not be possible.

Basically you have a free software with no functionality and your systems will be down.

You either buy it or you forget about it.

I have stated in other postings that we will activate if there is an issue and you need to change out the hardware. Not sure how else to explain it.

Also we have DSS versions 4TB and 8TB that do not have this issue with activation and they are less expensive then the 16TB professional version. I understand your frustration with the DSS LITE and this is why we have the professional version that are affordable for 2TB and 8TB for those who do not wish to entertain the DSS LITE.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I have stated in other postings that we will activate if there is an issue and you need to change out the hardware. Not sure how else to explain it.
    Thanx a lot for clarifying this.
    Summary: I will be able to reactivate a DSS Lite version (which becomes deactiveted due to HW changes) even AFTER 31st Jan given that it was first activated BEFORE 31st Jan. Correct?

There were quite a few statements which pointed in another direction:

a) Individuals will be able to download, install, register and activate the DSS LITE software UNTIL January 31st of January 2008.
    b) We will decide AFTER January 31st if we will allow for certain conditions to re-activate
    c) ...

Best Regards