Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS LITE as iSCSI Target for Windows Server 2008 Clusters

Default DSS LITE as iSCSI Target for Windows Server 2008 Clusters

Hello,
    I have successfully downloaded, installed and registered DSS LITE. I was very surprised how easy and fast it could be configured. Really great.

But now I want to set up a Windows Server 2008 Cluster using one iSCSI Target with two LUNs. iSCSI initiator successfully connected to my DSS LITE server, and the two LUNs appear in Disk Management as expected. Partitioning and formating was successful, too.

When I start Failover Cluster Management and Validate a Configuration the "Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation" fails with the message "Failed to Register PR key for cluster disk 0 from node nodename.fqdn status 1 - Cluster Disk 0 does not support Persistent Reservation".

Does DSS LITE support SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation, and if it does, how to enable or configure it?

Regards and thanks in advance,
    Thomas

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, our software engineers did some research and believe we do not support this and we have not tested Windows 2008 yet.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

somebody?
    I get the same problem.

Tks

It is possible to do a fialover situation with the DSS lite? Not in my opinion.

Default No-do and no date for persistent reservations

I just had an email exchange with support. There is no support for iSCSI and Windows 2008 clusters with any Open-E product, and no date on when it will be supported (just a "be patient").

Looking around a bit it seems that the Linux iSCSI target packages (IET, etc.) do not support SCSI-3 persistent reservations which Windows 2008 needs. Feels like this may take a while since the open source base Open-E uses doesn't support it...

Unfortunately I'm facing pulling out the Open-E DOM and re-installing Windows with StarWind on it...

Craig

Default SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation

Hi, Has there been a new release of DSS yet to support auto-failover and if so, does it support the required scsi-3 persistent reservation required for ms server 2008 clustering ?

Peter
    Anxious in Monterey CA

> -----Original Message-----
    > From: Support [mailto:support@open-e.com]
    > Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 3:46 PM
    > To: Jimmy Griparis
    > Subject: Re: [Ticket#1003232] iSCSI Cluster
    >
    > Dear Jimmy,
    >
    > In few weeks we are going to release our auto-failover feature that
    > will be for DSS exclusively. Fail over cluster for windows 2008 has not been tested.
    > But the auto failover feature that is going to be available for all
    > customer will solve your problem. IN the mean time, you can use our
    > replication or backup features.
    >
    > Please, let me know if you have additional questions.
    >
    >
    >
    > If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    >
    > Shon
    > Support
    > -----------

Peter,

I heared it will be released next week. Final beta version is done.... I don't think it will support the persistent reservation required by the ms server 2008 clustering

Masim, you are correct. Right now there is no support for Linux systems for persistent reservation on Win 2008. Since Open-E is Linux-based, the feature will be unavailable.

Angry Plan B it is...

Quote Originally Posted by asaph07
    Masim, you are correct. Right now there is no support for Linux systems for persistent reservation on Win 2008. Since Open-E is Linux-based, the feature will be unavailable.

Thanks for the response, guess we'll have to throw money at NetApp - suck