Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS - and a large iscsi target over 2TB

Default DSS - and a large iscsi target over 2TB

hello/
    i have question and server with 8,4Tb raid level 5 (64bit LBA)
    i create volume, iscsi partitions, iscsi target (LUN0),
    install on windows xp sp2 microsoft iscsi initiator, connect to dss, press online target0
    in hardware i see ISCSI HARD drive, but in partition manager i don't see my iscsi partition
    if i create iscsi target size 1tb - all correct.
    what max iscsi targer size for windows xp sp2 32bit

I think it isn't possible to create a GPT Partition in Windows XP, this is only possible in Windows Server 2003 SP1. (or Windows 2003 64 Bit Itanium systems)

A device with a MBR partition table can only be 2 TB, only with a GPT partition table you can access a device larger than 2 TB.

Best regards
    Stefan

Windows XP (SP2) can use dynamic volumes that are over 2TB:

"Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 terabytes, you must use dynamic volumes to create NTFS volumes over 2 terabytes. Windows XP Professional manages dynamic volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the partition table. Therefore, dynamic NTFS volumes can be as large as the maximum volume size supported by NTFS."
    found here

Therefore, you have to use dynamic volumes in the disk manager (right-click on My computer, select "manage" and then find the "disk manager") in Windows XP (I don't think it is necessary to use dynamic volumes on the open-e side, just the regular "volume group" etc. stuff) if you want to use volumes over 2TB. Also, i think that the default cluster size is 4K, so there's another limit at 16TB usually.

You are correct that most things which use a MBR are limited to 2TB. "Simple volumes" in Windows XP use the MBR, whereas "Dynamic volumes" do not.

It doesn't care if you are using simple Volumes or Dynamic Disks in Windows XP. The problem is the partition table. The disk size and partition size is limit to 2 TB. So you can't create more 2 TB partitions on a MBR disk.

The only chance is to make more iscsi targets with a maximum of 2 TB, create a Dynamic Disk on it and make a spanned volume.

From Technet:

Primary partitions and logical drives on basic disks are known as basic volumes. As shown in Table 1.2, basic volumes are limited to 2 TB. Even if you create multiple volumes on a single logical unit, the combined size of all those volumes cannot exceed 2 TB. If you want to use volumes larger than 2 TB, you must use dynamic spanned, striped, or RAID-5 volumes.

Reviewing Storage Limits

Best regards
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat
    Windows XP (SP2) can use dynamic volumes that are over 2TB:

"Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 terabytes, you must use dynamic volumes to create NTFS volumes over 2 terabytes. Windows XP Professional manages dynamic volumes in a special database instead of in the partition table, so dynamic volumes are not subject to the 2-terabyte physical limit imposed by the partition table. Therefore, dynamic NTFS volumes can be as large as the maximum volume size supported by NTFS."
    found here

Therefore, you have to use dynamic volumes in the disk manager (right-click on My computer, select "manage" and then find the "disk manager") in Windows XP (I don't think it is necessary to use dynamic volumes on the open-e side, just the regular "volume group" etc. stuff) if you want to use volumes over 2TB. Also, i think that the default cluster size is 4K, so there's another limit at 16TB usually.
    ok, i divided my 8.4 TB on 5 partition, did their dynamic and united in one the volume - 8.3TB (F:\)
    after reboot windows i must by hand to re-activate my dynamic volume

reading this paragraph from iSCSI user guide:

Dynamic disks (applies to Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003)

Configuring volumes on iSCSI disks as Dynamic disk volumes using the Microsoft software iSCSI initiator is not currently supported. It has been observed that timing issues may prevent dynamic disk volumes on iSCSI disks from being reactivated at system startup.

Hardware-based iSCSI initiators (iSCSI Host Bus Adapters or “HBAs”) can typically make the devices that it connects to available much earlier during the system startup process than the iSCSI software initiator can. Therefore, iSCSI HBAs may provide support for dynamic disk volumes.

have idea - how i can see all size correct?

I think the only way is to use the following operating systems with a GPT partition table:

Windows XP 64 Bit
    Windows Vista 32 and 64 Bit
    Windows Server 2003 after SP1 in 32 and 64 Bit

Or put in a iSCSI HBA...

Best regards
    Stefan