Visit Open-E website

Thread: OPen-E DSS Lite Booting

Question OPen-E DSS Lite Booting

HI, i have just downloaded DSS Lite and prepare a USB Pen Drive as instructed. I am using a SATA HDD on an Intel Desktop Board BLKDG33BUC.

I can see a type of linux booting screen with dots going across the screen but then the screen blanks and stays black.

Can you please give me an indication whether there is a compatibility issue? I am not sure what to expect but could the booting process be stopping before entering the GUI?

Regards

Check to see if you have the recommended hardware requirments below. Try removing any add on cards (if any). Accessing the GUI is done by using your Browser (best if using Firefox) and entering the IP Address 192.168.0.220 (See the Quick_Start_DSS_Lite guide).
    You can try to change some settings in the BIOS of the motherboard (power features, SATA "Enhanced mode", Legacy USB....).

Hardware Requirements:
    - x86 - compatible PC
    - 1 GByte RAM
    - CPU (3 GHz Pentium IV or faster are recommended)
    - HDD (SATA, SAS, SCSI, ATA) / RAID / Fibre Channel / iSCSI Storage
    - Network Interface Card (multicards 1Gb/s recomended for bonding)
    - USB-Memory-Stick, USB-DOM (Disk On Module) or "pen drive"
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Booting Issues

Hi Todd

Specs of my PC are above those needed:

Core 2 Duo E6750
    2GB RAM
    SATA HDD

I have no add on cards. Board has on board NICs. video, etc

I have not even managed to reach step 3 on your quick start guide.

When i power on PC with USB drive in place, it start booting from the USB drive, i get a screen with some dots moving across the screen for about two and a half lines, then the screen clears and i just get a blank screen.

I am assuming that at this stage i would expect some sort of prompt to appear. this is not happening.

We don't have this system board to verify any chance to test with another system. Test with different USB device settings with emulation Type: Hard Disk, USB Mass Storage Reset Delay: 10 sec. and USB V1.1, if USB 2.0. Try reformatting the USB stick again as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ok.. The problem was compatibility with the motherboard mentioned. I have swapped this to an old board and all is fine.. now moving on to setting up