Visit Open-E website

Thread: cart before the horse?

Default cart before the horse?

I have my registered copy of DSS lite and a fresh windows server 2008 running Identity Services for Unix ( user mapping) and all other services needed.

I read the dss lite manual it gives step by step instructions on setting up users/groups/shares etc. My problem is getting past the joining of the dss server and the active directory. I need step by steps for joining to ADS-Kerberos on WS2008 (or 2003) from the web manager of DSS. It should be no different from 2003, in fact easier because all the software components are included to do this in '08. Much better unix tools now in '08. I'm a good tech but not an Active directory-unix NIS integration guru.

Any help would be nice. Thanks.
    Tom

We don’t have any tests with Windows 2008 but should be the same as you stated. Instructions are simple to connect enter the Realm name of your Windows 2000/2003 server and KDC IP address must be taken from the same system as the Realm. Make sure to have the administrator login and password. Check the timing to not be offset of more than 5min. Add the DSS LITE to your ADS server also set in you Windows DNS forward and reverse zones.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks Todd. Your answer was helpful but cryptic, imo. I need a step by step on AD-NIS server 2003 that will connect the two servers. I looked up REALM, but all I got was FQDN answers not a realm definition or how to use.

Compared to the ad users/groups instructions this AD-NIS has me baffled even after 4 hrs of googling and forums at Msoft and here. The articles are complex with kerberos, AD, linux modules etc. I'm not a noob tech-17 years in but ISCSI SAN do it yourself and sell Open-e with them is prolly out of my reach based on the lack and quality of the DSS documentation.

Add to DNS zones? This server is not a web site, so I'm lost there too.

I've tried openfiler, starwind, netboot/i....I may just have to buy a box with instructions and support even though I have a perfect NAS-ISCSI box ready to go.

Tom

Duder1,
    you don't need HIS/NIS for Open-E AD integration. Just put the FQDN (usually in all uppercase) of your domin in the REALM field, then the IP address of an AD domain controller, and then the username and password of an admin account. MS HIS is only usefull if you want to use the AD for other (non-Samba) unix authentication.

alexsan: I tried it the easy way first as you described. I think it's kerberos security related; Win server doesn't usually just let anything join the domain that easy as the instructions say UNLESS it's some old NT4 server.

I just formated-recreated the USB stick drive; trying to start over now.

I'm using an Intel 875pbz P4 2.4 ghz, 1 gb ram, 2 ide 160 G seagates and it's a pristine custom box with bios set perfect for the SAN box.

It's getting that San box w/ Dss lite to authenticate and join the domain per the instruction manual.

My goal is to boot from this box as a target 1st then add san nas just for experience.
    Tried NAS cuz i ve done a hundred of them.

I think I got what i paid for (free) as usual 2nd install just sits and red circle turns, no flashing lights on usb or HD's. not good.

Something simple probably,,who knows.

Ok i quit. I have 2 nice 160Gig HD's that are stuck with LVM volumes and I asked everwhere how to remove them to have my drives back to brand new status- NO OS installed or anything. peeps just said run fixmbr and install any MS OS u want. Right.
    The effects of trying out open-e dss have been a super time waster,, please give me what I need to move on. I don't care why it happened,,me or your product.

Please advise.

Go to the Console screen and enter the Extended tools function by doing the following
    CTRL + ALT + X then select Delete content of units and select the vg00.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Yes Todd, the LVM was still there from the original install and I spent alot of time and tools trying to remove the lvm to start over. I looked through the forums and docs,,there was nothing there about reinstalling or removing orig.lvm vol's, etc.
    SO, there's no way to get to the commands you suggest if the 2nd install never gets to that point due to the old LVM. sits at 73% and won't finish fresh install.
    I still think the doc's steps to join is not right (works for some I guess) based on many posts for dss smb-ADS help like mine.