Visit Open-E website

Thread: Hp Dl380 G3

Default Hp Dl380 G3

Hi

we have an old HP DL380 G3 with an Smart Array 5i onboard Controller.
    Is it posible to run the DSS on it booting with USB or CD or IDE?

Thanks for help.

FACT

Default Sorry, DL380 G3 or Less No Work

Dear "Fact",

I am unfortunately here to tell you that getting DSS-Lite, DSS R3, iSCSI R3 to boot off of a DL380 G3 or older will not work, period. I have spent the better part of the past week, trying all sorts of angles. Tried installing SUSE and then copied the contents of the USB partition /boot to the SUSE /boot next too, modifying the grub menu.lst to be able to choose the kernel from the Open-E product.... BZZZT (buzzer). Even tried copying over my SUSE /boot partition with the partition from the USB drive, nadda.

Spent a lot of time on the phone directly with ToM, emails..... it just won't work without a BIOS that supports USB booting.

I know your pain and your frustration, you've got a very nicely resourced box sitting there with the resources to help you with storage and the perfect product at a very attractive price just begging to be married, it's just not meant to be.

The best we can hope for, is to very respectfully ask ToM to pass along to the developers and management to bring back the IDE module version of their product.

Anyways, that's my 2c, just trying to save you some time and loss of sleep like me.

Regards,

JAKMONKEY

Hi

have you try the boot CD with the USB stick?

regards

FACT

Hi Fact,

Which BOOT CD?

Quote Originally Posted by FACT
    Hi

have you try the boot CD with the USB stick?

regards

FACT

Hi

with the boot CD you are able to boot from USB with no BIOS support.

HTML Code:
    http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.php?t=720

Regards

FACT

Hi Fact,

Trying to get the ISO, will get back with later today or tomorrow. 1:20EST right now.

Default Dl380

I have been working on this myself. I can get the software to start loading from the USB drive but it doesn't complete. I just get a # prompt.

These are great boxes. Lots of them have come off lease lately so they are very affordable. The boot Open-e Boot CD does not work with DSS LITE but I would like to get a copy to see what they do so I can create my own.

The IDE version won't work with these boxes because there are no power connectors. I have tried a TEMPO HD card that mounts a 2.5 laptop drive but that doesn't boot.

I have verified that the Demo CD runs on the DL380 G3 so I should be able to get this to load.