Visit Open-E website

Thread: how to create and rebuild raid1

Default how to create and rebuild raid1

hello open-e

im testing your product for buying and im using the lite edition of your system

i have 2 computer set with open lite dss 1TB system

i have created in both of them 2 10GB system and target them, then i use the iscsi and connect on server to the other.

now..
    im using the radi S/W and create from both ISCSI computer one MD0 folder and
    use raid1 and lun it outside

im using linux redhat and connect to the iscsi MD0, i see and mount the iscsi drive and manage to copy things into the folder

the problem is when i shut down on of the servers i get MD0 clean. regarded and i cant rebuld the raid again to save the data
    what is the right way to buld raid 1 from 2 ISCSI system using lite-dds for testing
    if i manage to build that i will order the large scale edition of iscsi r3 dds moduls

thanks

Hey Prince...

First time for me to chat with a Prince....

I didnt get what you are doing exactly... So lets brake it down:

Server A: Has one 10GB volume with RAID 1
    Server B: Has one 10GB volume RAID 1

Server A & B are building RAID 1 with open-e built in software RAID????

And you are trying to replicate files from Server A to B? but when you turn one of the servers down, you are loosing your files?

Are using degradded mode? You HDD are the same size?

Since you are testing, I recommend you to use a RAID controller. Open-e will not give you the option to extend your volume size if you are using S/W RAID. Also, H/W RAID is more stable...

Answer the previouse questions.. and let me know if you need further help.

Also is you are using Volume replication are you dedicating NIC?

If creating a Software RAID 1 are you using 2 drives or are you using 1 drive in degraded mode as Joey stated?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default setiting up system

i like to thank u for the answer
    here is the system configuration
    1. server with 250GB sata , no raid controller, i have build inside a VL size of 10GB and make it a target (lun)
    2/ server with 80GB sata, no raid controller, also made 10GB VL and make it a lun
    3/ using the iscsi initator, i have connected the first server to the second and now i can see in the S/W raid 2 drives!
    4,. i use those drive, ( one from my server, and second from the other connection ) to create a raid 1 between them.
    5, a new raid 1 is created name md0
    6.MD0 is now publish under one drive and bean target iscsi as half 5.45GB
    7/i manage to copy data into the iscsi from linux server and work with that, but if one of the servers fail i can access the system but i dont know if the data is there or is there any mirror in the system
    also
    8. i think i need more info how to create a mirror between 2 DSS lite system,

thanks
    amir

Here is a short discription for setting up a Volume Replication between 2 DSS LITE iSCSI Logical Volumes. Also link below has this topic explained on the forum.

http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...me+Replication

Create iSCSI LV (please create volumes of equal sizes), enable the Replication check mark.

Then go to the Volume Replication on the left screen from the Volume Manager Set for Source. If source set IP of Destination Server then select the Logical Volume.

Click on the task from the left side and then click the green play button.

Then enable the Target in the Target Manager (select WB).

On Destination server set the same iSCSI Logical Volume size as the Source and set for Replication. Then go to the Volume Replication on the left screen from the Volume Manager and Set for Destination. Enter IP of Source Server then select the Logical Volume.

Wait for the replication to complete before sending data to source target. Once the replication is completed then proceed with data. Do not enable the destination target. Only
    enable this when the source has failed. Instructions from the GUI and manual provide additional details.

To view the synchronization processes go to Status > Tasks > Volume Replication and there you will see if it is consistent).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Raid 1

Thank u very much for the answer, i manage to do it and its working great

my second question, is there a way to create a Raid 1 without replication not including the linux server

and my final quesition, lets say i have to iscsi system. in the source i almost finishing the space , is there a way to extend the capacity of the system and keep the replication going ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prince_amir

and my final quesition, lets say i have to iscsi system. in the source i almost finishing the space , is there a way to extend the capacity of the system and keep the replication going ?

thanks
    Volume Manager don't allow to resize LUN if replication is enabled - you need to disable it first and re-enable after resizing (on both systems !).