Visit Open-E website

Thread: IS NAS-R3 Enterprise 64-Bit capable ?

Default IS NAS-R3 Enterprise 64-Bit capable ?

I have been told that the NAS-R3 is only capable of booting in 32-bit mode but the release notes for latest software version i.e. 4.32 refers to 64-bit mode in the known issues section. Can someone clarify this query for me please ?

Release notes for 4.32 does not reference 64bit mode. NAS-R3 Enterprise does not support 64bit mode only the DSS will have this option. Release notes from 4.32 below.

Open-E NAS-R3 Enterprise Release Highlights:
    * 2007-09-27 ver. 4.32 release
    NEW:
    • Support in Samba for UID bigger than 60200. Now there is support for users with UID
    up to 2000000.
    • Read ahead tuning option in Console Tools.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Quota for groups does not work.
    • Users from external LDAP cannot authenticate in Samba. Please DO NOT UPDATE
    to ver. 4.32 if you use external LDAP user authentication.
    • After the update the data replication protocol needs to be turned off and on again in
    order to work correctly. Please go to menu Configuration-->NAS settings-->Function:
    Data replication agent, disable replication and then enable it again.
    • In case of problems with running "Repair Filesystem" function please disable all
    running tasks, including Snapshot, Replication and Backup through WebGUI.
    • Intel and LSI RAID Web Console2 may not operate correctly due to tool bug ( Only
    last Ethernet port position will work. Example: Eth0, Eth1, Eth2 and Eth3, only Eth3
    will work). As a workaround please establish the connection to the tool with the last
    Network Internet Controller (NIC) connected to the system or disable all except the
    first controller (disable Eth1, Eth2 and Eth3 to force Eth0 to function).
    • Overfilling of snapshot used to backup is not reported.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the info regarding 32-bit capabilty. The release notes for v4.32 I downloaded on the 4th Feb 2008 did mention 64 bit though as listed below. I think they must have been edited since I downloaded them.

Open-E NAS-R3 Enterprise Release Highlights:
    * 2007-09-27 ver. 4.32 release
    NEW:
    • Support in Samba for UID bigger than 60200. Now there is support for users with UID
    up to 2000000.
    • Read ahead tuning option in Console Tools.
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Quota for groups does not work.
    • Users from external LDAP cannot authenticate in Samba. Please DO NOT UPDATE
    to ver. 4.32 if you use external LDAP user authentication.
    • After the update the data replication protocol needs to be turned off and on again in
    order to work correctly. Please go to menu Configuration-->NAS settings-->Function:
    Data replication agent, disable replication and then enable it again.
    • In 64bit system mode VERITAS backup agent does not work. Please do not switch to
    64bit system if you are going to use VERITAS backup agent.
    • 64bit system configuration is not preserved after update. If you use 64bit system,
    please change 32bit to 64bit manually. When system boots, please press TAB key in
    order to get into Boot menu. Please select 64bit system. Once the system is up and
    running please press "hot-hey" ctrl-alt-t on the system console and then select: Boot
    options-->Select system architecture, now with SPACE key markup desired 64bit
    system and Apply. Then please select Save changes.
    • In case of problems with running "Repair Filesystem" function please disable all
    running tasks, including Snapshot, Replication and Backup through WebGUI.
    • Intel and LSI RAID Web Console2 may not operate correctly due to tool bug ( Only
    last Ethernet port position will work. Example: Eth0, Eth1, Eth2 and Eth3, only Eth3
    will work). As a workaround please establish the connection to the tool with the last
    Network Internet Controller (NIC) connected to the system or disable all except the
    first controller (disable Eth1, Eth2 and Eth3 to force Eth0 to function).
    • LSI Logic Console tool for configuration of RAID controllers does not work in case of
    64bit operating mode (with 32bit kernel tool works correctly).
    • Overfilling of snapshot used to backup is not reported.
    • 64 bit system shows wrong free space on the volume. It may cause problem for
    applications checking free space on the volume before saving files.