Visit Open-E website

Thread: Raid Controler Report and Limitatons

Default Raid Controler Report and Limitatons

Hi,

I have a question about Raid Controller support. We plan to buy an ACER Server with 5 300 GB SAS Disks. Configured as Raid 5. Is the 1 TB limitation bound to the offered storage size or the summarized amount of each disks?

Also a question to me: Does open-e supports the ACER ALTOS Raid Controller with BBU Cache? I wasnt able to find out the chipset. I gues the chipset depends...

Bis thx,

Geeds Boris
    Boris Erdmann-Jesnitzer

Your total size of those 5 300GB will be 1200GB in RAID5.. that will exceed the limitation.... For the Acer controller I dont see that one in the list. so I believe its not supported..

Quote Originally Posted by boerie
    Hi,
    Also a question to me: Does open-e supports the ACER ALTOS Raid Controller with BBU Cache? I wasnt able to find out the chipset. I gues the chipset depends...
    You need to determine the chipset, there is no way that Acer actually manufactured the controller, they have OEMd someone else's card. Most of the Acer rack servers are OEMd from Intel models (both chassis and motherboards). Is the controller a separate card or is it the on-board controller?

Which model do you have (R510/520/720)?

We have about to order the 720 ALTOS Server with Intel Raid on Board with BBU. The ChipSet on the Motherboard is the 5000P. As far as I can see, Open-e won't support that kind of chipset. So we made the decission to order a seperate RAID controller from Adaptec to fill this gap. (Adaptec 3805, internal 8 Port SAS / SATA RAID Controller)
    Thx for your replies..
    Boris Erdmann-Jesnitzer

I would prefer the Areca 1680. Is much easier to use and at the moment you can't get any faster RAID Controller for SAS disks.